Why is the boff topicb section dead as a doornail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
I'm just curious why the 'off topic' section is locked? An open off topic section would no doubt prevent drift that occours in other threads, plus we could discuss other subjects there that might interest us almost as much as Titanic...

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
I'm just guessing here, Tarn, but it's probably locked for the very reason you mention - to stop drift on to other topics not Titanic related.

The question arises, should unrelated topic be discussed on this website? I would have thought not.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Tarn

I would argue that the point of a website on a specific topic, in this case Titanic is to discuss that subject. I think the problem with an unfettered 'Off Topic' is that it could well grow to such a size as to rival that of the main purpose of the site. There must be other more appropriate sites which cover a range of topics?
That's only my view for what it is worth, perhaps a Moderator will give a more authoritative answer.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Ernie's essentially correct, although the definition of what's "on topic" has expended somewhat over time---witness, in particular, some of the threads in the "Golden Age" topic. As a review of the "Off Topic" section reveals, what's been discussed there is quite limited.

May 27, 2007
Hi Mark Do you mean The Jazz Age Or All Roads Lead To Ballyhoo. I take full blame for starting that thread. It's supposed to be about the Jazz Age and Gangsters and Flappers, Prohibition but that thread has been know to drift a lot. It's tons of fun though.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The question arises, should unrelated topic be discussed on this website? I would have thought not.<<

It's kind of difficult to not go off track when you think about it. When studying Titanic, you're studying the Edwardian age, as well as what led up to it and what followed from it. Titanic didn't exist in a vacuum and neither did the people who owned, built, and sailed aboard her. That gives you a lot of cultural ground to cover.

We have entire folders which are essentially off topic by default. The Other Ships And Shipwrecks folder for example, where we not only discuss past catastrophies but current events in the maritime world to the point of how they effect our very lives. (Hence the reason that I call attention to select news stories.)

The impression I had was that the Off Topic Folder is something to discuss affairs which are so far off the reservation as to begger belief, but which are of such signifigance that we can hardly not discuss it. The 9-11 terrorist attacks for example, and Iraq War II.

Jan 7, 2002
"Hi Tarn

I would argue that the point of a website on a specific topic, in this case Titanic is to discuss that subject. I think the problem with an unfettered 'Off Topic' is that it could well grow to such a size as to rival that of the main purpose of the site. There must be other more appropriate sites which cover a range of topics?
That's only my view for what it is worth, perhaps a Moderator will give a more authoritative answer."

Hi Michael
You make great points and I understand the reason- particulalry if an off topic section would eat up memory- I was just thinking it would be nifty to have one place where we could discuss other shared interests, etc....But I'm just as happy with ET being a 100% Titanic/ocean liner forum only...

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
>>The question arises, should unrelated topics be discussed on this website? I would have thought not.<<

What is said Michael was in response to Tarn saying specifically, "Other subjects that might interest as much as Titanic". I took this to mean absolutely anything.

I see the 'gilded age' for example as being an appropriate related topic. All too often we see things in modern terms when the world was a different place in those days.

I put my hand up to having been involved in a bit of digression - the South Pole thread comes to mind.
blush.gif

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I put my hand up to having been involved in a bit of digression - the South Pole thread comes to mind.<<

We all have. Nothing to be embarrased about there. Sometimes you just need to go off the reservation a bit and just have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.