Why Nova Scotia rather than Newfoundland?

JMackintosh

Mar 29, 2012
The American South
My first post here, a question that has nagged at me. I have a copy of the book Titanic Remembered; The Unsinkable Ship and Halifax. I have wondered why Halifax became the focal point for the recovery of the bodies, rather than St. John's in Newfoundland when Newfoundland is actually closer to the site of the Titanic's sinking? I suppose it was due to Halifax having larger port facilities?

Anyway, hello to everyone in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, we hope to visit both places in a few years. One of the nicest people I have known was a former Newfoundlander who moved here to the South and used to service our heating system. I have heard it a very friendly place, sorry for the digression.

Mar 16, 2012
Amston, CT, USA
Well, Newfoundland is an island, and there was no rail connection between Newfoundlan and the rest of North America. If bodies had indeed been brought back to St. John's, they would have had to have been then transported to another point -- probably Halifax -- before they could be shipped to the grieving families.

JMackintosh

Mar 29, 2012
The American South
Thanks, Bruce, as you mention a factor that I didn't consider--rail access. Not sure if you remember me or not from our shared interest in military history, especially the Little Big Horn. Thanks again and my best to you.