Why so few French passengers?

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Straus, not Strauss.

And if your spelling checker changed anything to "struass," maybe you should get a different one.

May 3, 2005
Straus, not Strauss.

And if your spelling checker changed anything to "struass," maybe you should get a different one.
I often have the same problem with my spell checker.
On mine if I check it again I can go back and correct it, so you might try that before posting.
My wife has an unusual name and she has trouble with spell checker changing her name to something else.

Nov 14, 2005
Officer boxhall probably wished he had her on his boat. He couldn't understand any of them. He had so much trouble counting the people in his boat.

Yes, she seems like a very caring lady. Amazing she taught herself other languages. Must be a very talented lady.

Ps- wow must be an amazing experience on queen Mary back in the 60's- a lot less drama back then, happy days ill bet.
That would depend on a lot on where you were. Having grown up then allows me to take all the stupid crap going on today in stride. Seen this same movie many times before. In many ways the 60's were a lot worse than today. People always seem to remember the good and forget the bad. Only natural I guess. But in other ways a lot better too. Especially traveling. Half the fun was getting there. That's pretty much long gone now. As for Molly Brown...yes..seems every movie that has her in it they portray her in a different way.
P.S...I don't know what you use but the built in spell checker with the Firefox browser works really well. I know...seems like I'm having to use it more and more these days...o_O.

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
Straus, not Strauss.

I think maybe we have confused this person with persons
Straus, not Strauss.

Possible cause for confusion on spelling of names.
Something else I have learned on this website. Thanks !

Levi Straus - New York. Macy's Department Store . Died on Titanic. 1912
Levi Strauss - San Francisco . Levi's Blue Jeans. Died in San Francisco. 1902

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
No, the Straus who was on Titanic was named isidor, not Levi. He was travelling with his wife Ida and was not related to the jeans manufacturer.

May 3, 2005
No, the Straus who was on Titanic was named isidor, not Levi. He was travelling with his wife Ida and was not related to the jeans manufacturer.
Thanks Mark for the correction.
I think there was a little nit-pick in ANTR where Straus calls his wife "Rachel" instead of "Ida"in one scene ?