Why so few French passengers?

Aly Jones

Could've been just a week where the French didn't want to travel, or the French just didn't like traveling on British ships. We really need to check Olympics and other British French passenger manifest prior from titanic .
I know the struass always traveled on German ships prior titanic (cause of their German ancestry) but this time only they picked a British ship. Their own son, at the time of titanic sinking, he was travelling on a German ship.

As mentioned on a previous post probably just a matter of sailing on a ship of your own country.
Also maybe a matter of language ? Maybe wanting to sail on a ship where the officers and stewards, etc.
spoke your own language and had the same customs ?

Also, years ago I had thought of a trip to England from America.
I would have chosen RMS Queen Mary because of my English ancestry instead of an American ship.such as SS United States.
My previous ocean voyages were on American ships with "USS" prefixes. :)

Last edited:

Aly Jones

ld say you are correct with the language barriers and French would prefer french crew than any other. Even today, I have heard from season traveller to Europe and expat from Germany working both at my work that the French are very hardcore about their language and hate speaking in English. So in 1912 French would be more passionate about their French culture and language.

Did you end up going? I bet not to many French onboard?
Likewise ,I would love to travel on the queen mary for a transatlantic voyage for two reasons or three or 4 . She's belongs to cunard, she's famous, she's British, and I have mainly British ancestry.
For a cruise trip, I wouldn't mind trying Italian or French ship. I'm curious about how different it will be from British ship and also officers and sailors from those countries all speak English as well as their own language. However in 1912, the average sea-traveller passengers from europe couldn't speak English, so most opted for their own nationality of ship, which I believe why only few French were aboard .

No, I cancelled plans for that trip. That was the year that " I went from Texas to Yellowstone National Park
via the New York World's Fair " on my vacation trip. I did meet a lot of German College Students at Yellowstone......No French ? ....No French. LOL

And after my visit to Queen Mary I was glad and much relieved about doing so. The less said , the better....especially Second Class Cabin C-119, which Cunard had listed as being available. Ugh !!!! Yuck !!!!! This was during the New York World's Fair of 1965 and Queen Mary looked like she had seen much better days.

However, as mentioned on a previous post , a later stay at Hotel Queen Mary was just the opposite pleasure wise. First Class Suite, Verandah Grille, etc..

Back to topic. After going over the reasons why not, I wouldn't have been surprised to find out that there were absolutely NO French passengers on the Titanic ! :)

Just an aside on another Titanic legend.
There are stories that Mrs. Margaret Brown had self-taught her self , had toured Europe quiet extensively and was a gracious person in many respects. It was also said the was fluent in several languages (besides English ! LOL) and was helpful in talking to and helping to deal with immigrant survivors in steerage from many different countries while on the Carpathia to New York.
Certain not the "hick" as portrayed in ANTR !

Last edited:

Mark Baber

the struass always traveled on German ships prior titanic (cause of their German ancestry) but this time only they picked a British ship.
1. I take it you mean Mr. and Mrs. Straus?
2. This is not correct. A brief and non-exhaustive search of the immigration records at Ellis Island shows Mr. Straus as arriving at New York in 1894 on the American Line's New York; in 1885 and 1905 on Cunard's Etruria; in 1911 on Holland America's Rotterdam; in 1910 on Cedric. He did not travel only on German ships.

Aly Jones

1. I take it you mean Mr. and Mrs. Straus?
2. This is not correct. A brief and non-exhaustive search of the immigration records at Ellis Island shows Mr. Straus as arriving at New York in 1894 on the American Line's New York; in 1885 and 1905 on Cunard's Etruria; in 1911 on Holland America's Rotterdam; in 1910 on Cedric. He did not travel only on German ships.
yes the straps. Ok wasn't aware of this. What I read was obviously wrong. Thanks for the info.

Aly Jones

Scroll down near the end.

Titanic had French cafe full of French waiters, but why? When British ships don't carry many French in 1st class, also I believe French were not that keen on the British.

Did French liners have British cafes???

Aly Jones

There are stories that Mrs. Margaret Brown had self-taught her self , had toured Europe quiet extensively and was a gracious person in many respects. It was also said the was fluent in several languages (besides English ! LOL) and was helpful in talking to and helping to deal with immigrant survivors in steerage from many different countries while on the Carpathia to New York.
Officer boxhall probably wished he had her on his boat. He couldn't understand any of them. He had so much trouble counting the people in his boat.

Yes, she seems like a very caring lady. Amazing she taught herself other languages. Must be a very talented lady.

Ps- wow must be an amazing experience on queen Mary back in the 60's- a lot less drama back then, happy days ill bet.

Straus, not Strauss.

And if your spelling checker changed anything to "struass," maybe you should get a different one.
I often have the same problem with my spell checker.
On mine if I check it again I can go back and correct it, so you might try that before posting.
My wife has an unusual name and she has trouble with spell checker changing her name to something else.

Officer boxhall probably wished he had her on his boat. He couldn't understand any of them. He had so much trouble counting the people in his boat.

Yes, she seems like a very caring lady. Amazing she taught herself other languages. Must be a very talented lady.

Ps- wow must be an amazing experience on queen Mary back in the 60's- a lot less drama back then, happy days ill bet.
That would depend on a lot on where you were. Having grown up then allows me to take all the stupid crap going on today in stride. Seen this same movie many times before. In many ways the 60's were a lot worse than today. People always seem to remember the good and forget the bad. Only natural I guess. But in other ways a lot better too. Especially traveling. Half the fun was getting there. That's pretty much long gone now. As for Molly Brown...yes..seems every movie that has her in it they portray her in a different way.
P.S...I don't know what you use but the built in spell checker with the Firefox browser works really well. I know...seems like I'm having to use it more and more these days...o_O.

Last edited:
Straus, not Strauss.

And if your spelling checker changed anything to "struass," maybe you should get a different one.
I think maybe we have confused this person with persons
Straus, not Strauss.

Possible cause for confusion on spelling of names.
Something else I have learned on this website. Thanks !

Levi Straus - New York. Macy's Department Store . Died on Titanic. 1912
Levi Strauss - San Francisco . Levi's Blue Jeans. Died in San Francisco. 1902