Why was the Titanic's Crew Important

G

Gloria Carey

What role did the Titanics crew play in the everyday life of the ship,what were some of there important duties? This is for my son's 6th grade project why was the Titanics crew important

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Basically, they were the ones who ran the ship. Stokers fed the boilers, the engineers kept the engines running and managed things like the generators which provided power, the stewards tended to the passangers and their wants/needs, the officers navigated the ship, etc....

Is there anything in particular you're looking for? For a question as broad as this, specifics might be a bit more helpful.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Ian Bland

May 31, 2009
Hello Gloria

As Michael says, it would help to know what you are looking for. The people who use this sight have an enourmous amount of knowledge about the ship and her crew. For example, most of the crew lived in Southampton. Many people from there died. How about picking some examples of crew members and then using the site to put a pen picture together of the person and their role on the ship?
Best wishes.

paul daley

Jul 6, 2002
yes gloria, as ian and michael say, all of the crew had their own duties to perform. i am a crew member myself aboard a ship. when you go on board, you sign a muster list. this is to specify which position you would take up should an emergency situation arise. for instance, i am in charge of first aid, so i would need to go to the bridge for the equipment and take it to my designated location. the muster list is to specify where each crew member should be and what they should do when they get there.
pauldaley4@yahoo.co.uk

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Welcome to the board, Paul. Why don't you post a message under the "Introduce yourself" thread and tell us more about your career. We have several other seamen here and we can always use another one.
happy.gif

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Guys if I were you I wouldn't bother with this thread. It doesn't look like Gloria is returning.
Adam

P.S. Paul would like to hear more about you. I already know you are relatied to chief steward Lamiter