Why were additional lifeboats introduced after RMS Titanic?

T

Talira Greycrest

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after titanic sank, the White Star Line flag emblems on the recovered lifeboats were removed to prevent stealing by souvenir hunters.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Actually, I think souvenir hunters removed many of the emblems. What happened to the lifeboats, nobody actually knows, but an informed guess is that they were repaired and put on other boats (lifeboats being in high demand after the sinking of Titanic.)

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Well we know their last known location was a boat yard in southern Manhattan at the C.M. Lane Lifeboat Company.

Personally, I feel White Star would have scrapped them given how the Titanic disaster ruined the company's reputation and it's owner. ''Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy'' notes how a model for their New York offices was quickly removed to cover up any memory of the event.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Well we know their last known location was a boat yard in southern Manhattan at the C.M. Lane Lifeboat Company.
Do you have a source for it?
The C.M. Lane Life Boat Company inspected the boats which were by end of December 1912 (by that time ships had already additional boat) still at the 2nd floor loft of piers 58 & 59 and it is most likely that they bought the boats.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Do you have a source for it?
The C.M. Lane Life Boat Company inspected the boats which were by end of December 1912 (by that time ships had already additional boat) still at the 2nd floor loft of piers 58 & 59 and it is most likely that they bought the boats.
The book ''Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy (second edition)'' by Eaton and Haas was the source for this.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
This is one of, if not the best book on Titanic around, unfortunately, it' is outdated and I heard bad reviews about updated editions due to the photos not being as good as in the earlier editions.

Hanan96

Feb 6, 2017
thanks for great answer.. just confused at how my question about lifeboat were converted onto olympic-non olympic debate.. but its no problem.lets get back to lifeboats

during those day, to lower lifeboats, they manually using human power, lowering down the ropes for the lifeboat

if there's enough time for everyone, how could the last man to leave the ship boarded on lifeboat? they have to lower down the rope manually isnt it? Climbing rope is too far from the sea?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
if there's enough time for everyone, how could the last man to leave the ship boarded on lifeboat? they have to lower down the rope manually isnt it? Climbing rope is too far from the sea?
Depends on how far the distance was and what weather conditions. If it was not a log way down and it would be calm they could use the falls to go down, the safer way would be rope ladders to climb down into the boat.