Why were the Lusitania's Funnels Painted Black?

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Why were the Lusitania's Funnels Painted Black, name painted over (bow & stern, also in black? was this a form of disguise that Capt Turner independently made the decision to do? or was he simply under Admiralty order to do so?

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
that was some help. but my question was whether her funnels were black from independent decision by Caaptain Turner, or because she was simply painted in Admiralty Colors? and while that was helpful, it almost totally ignores the fact that the ship could have simply been painted in Admiralty colors and not intentionally disguised, this not to say she wasnt, she could have been, and i look at that as strong possibility too.

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Jesse:

The reason I wrote the article was to figure out *whether* she was painted in different colors for her last voyage -- not *why* she was painted differently. I didn't "ignore the fact", but answering "why" wasn't what I set out to do. The article answers the question I wanted answered.

And, no, Turner didn't have the authority to simply wave his hand and say "camouflage my ship." I have never found anything that states who in the Admiralty or Cunard made the ultimate decision to paint her funnels black and her superstructure gray, but my guess is that it may have been a mutual decision.

Eric Sauder

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
from what i have heard, although this is more famous w/ conspiracy theorist, Ramsay also supports it, and while his work has been criticised by a number of people on the boards, his work for the most part is reliable, except where he relies on SNAMES, besides that i greatly admire his book and how he challenges some of the theories of Bailey and Ryan. this is not to say i think Bailey and Ryan is unreliable, theyre book is very reliable, but the work is almost 30 years old, and so the theories of them should be put to test, as to rely on antiquated theories can be dangerous. now back to the point. the funnels of course. i hope you (Eric) should one day incorporate why the funnels were painted black into your article, as whats available on the subject is too little to make any decision w/ certainty and confidence. to me it makes more sense that the ship would be flying Admiralty Colors under Admiralty orders, why the the funnels had to be repainted at certain points is obvious, the high heat/steam pressure causing the paint to crack and fall off, and also of course the ocean sprays on the funnels too.

also another question Eric. were any parts of 3rd class gutted to make extra room for cargo? this question does not apply any coal bunkers anywhere on the ship, as they were obviously in use, and i dont think the unused ones would be much use for cargo.

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Jesse:

You asked: "were any parts of 3rd class gutted to make extra room for cargo?"

No.

Eric Sauder

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
i think no too for 3rd class being converted to cargo space, but they keep bringing up 1 piece of evidence which refrains me from thinking it completely in impossible. Dow and booth talking, and Dow mentioning how parts of 3rd class was gutted. i find it hard to believe he would lie, unless he is referring to something else.

R

Robert W. Collier

Eric,
I just finished reading your updated article. Thank you for the additional information. Sometimes it takes so long for that "key" piece of information to surface. Fortunately it shines new light on the Lusitania's colors. Perhaps we can discuss this in depth (along with other Lusitania history) in the future. Thank you again for the well written article. You should write another book.
Respectfully,
Robert W. Collier

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Hi, Robert:

Many thanks for your kind comments about my article. It's always nice to get positive comments like that.

I look forward to seeing you and Colleen again in the not-too-distant future for a long day of ship chat. I'll let you know when I'm out your way. Shouldn't be too long now.

Eric

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
I'll agree w/ everyone that the article is good, though i think the subject "why" the funnels were black should be incorporated into the article. after all, now that we know that the funnels were black, we must now figure out why, to Disguise the Lusitania? or was she a ship under Admiralty orders painted in Admiralty colors?

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Jesse:

Rather than incorporating the "why" question into my article, maybe you can write something about the "why" and post it here on ET.

Eric Sauder

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Eric

Exactly what colors were the Lusitania's Funnels painted for her wartime voyages. Grey or Black? im just wondering as i just got Droste & Tantum "The Lusitania Case" and there is a statement by a passanger by the name Richard Harding Davis (originally stated November 1914 in scribners, article in book comes from The Fatherland 6/30/1915). well anyway heres what Mr. Davis States on Pg 51:

"But when on the third day, we came on deck, the news was written against the sky: Swinging from the funnels, sailors were painting out the scarlet and black colors of the Cunard Line, and substituting a mouse-like grey. overnight we had passed into the hands of the Admiralty, and the Lusitania had emerged a cruiser."

I of course disagree w/ him on the Cruiser Issue, but he obviously is an important witness, as he witnessed the funnels being painted dark grey/Black. any comments Eric?

Apr 11, 2001
Just tuned in here- and am no Lusy expert but recently, while looking for info on one of my theatre interests, Charles Frohman, I found an interesting article snipped from a Montana newspaper which quotes a passenger named Crook,
" The great ship trembled from the maximum speed attained. When the gang plank had been pulled up at Liverpool, painters made the vessel black, even to the funnels. ". He goes on to say that the captain was opposed to flying an American flag. Officer John Lewis also states in his testimony "black hull, black funnels."

Jun 6, 2005
So, can anybody do a color rendering of the Lusitania as she appeared on her last voyage? One thing I want to get straight...for the last voyage the funnels were black, the superstructure grey (with the buff-colored band) and the hull was black also. Was the lower part of the hull still red or was it painted black also?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Gustavo, Eric Sauder wrote an article which is published on the Marconigraph.com website which addresses this very question.

Go to http://marconigraph.com/

Click on "Lusitania" in the frame on the side.

When it downloads, click on "The Lusitania Disguised? Unraveling the Mystery" As far as I know, the colour of the anti-fouling paint below the waterline would still have been red.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
Gustavo, have you seen any of Ken Marschall's revised prints of the Lusitania. Those prints were included in Ballard's book, and both the Marschall books "Lost Liners" and "Art of Titanic".
I asked if Ken had planned to issue any postcard or portraits of the Lusitania as she was last seen. The answer was "No". One can only speculate. My thought was that the original image, showing the red funnels and the name clearly shown, reflects the era that both the Lusitania were meant for, not the World War I times.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,
I know most of you already know - orange - Cunard orange funnels originally. Not red. Testors orange is quite close indeed.

Best,
Eric
happy.gif