Wicker furniture

Aaron Zaffuto

Oct 7, 2005
What happend to it? In the ghost of the abyss they find a wicker trunk perfectly perservered in the cargo hold. What happened to the wicker furniture in the the reception room and in the private promonade areas? Did it float out or is it just buried in the debris?

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Aaron, Good question. James Cameron did notice that some woodwork deep inside the ship seems to have survived, especially if it was painted or treated somehow. It is as if the organisms that eat the materials have started on the outside of the ship and are working their way in. Most organic materials seems pretty far gone though. Perhaps that wicker case found in the cargo hold was once inside a steamer trunk? Now the trunk is long eaten away and now the wicker is exposed, soon to be eaten too.

It hard to explain the different effects that are going on down there. Most of the furniture is gone, but some of the wooden washstands are intact.

The wooden grandstaircase is gone. If it floated up and out of the ship, why is the dome framing on the bottom of the stairway shaft?

Aaron Zaffuto

Oct 7, 2005
Thank for the reply David,
As for the staircase I have always wondered why theres really not a trace of it, if it broke apart and floated out surly there would be markings of the walls or broken posts. I do Believe that some how the staircase got out but not the panneling with clock, when ballard first found the wreck and sent an r.o.v down into the staircase you could make out the circle out line of the clock, it seems as if the the metal started rusting around the clock and then years later the panneling decayed.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>As for the staircase I have always wondered why theres really not a trace of it,<<

Actually, there are a few traces of it but not all that much. If you have the issues of the Ghosts of the Abyss photos done by Ken Marschall for the THS Titanic Commutator, you'll see a few with some wooden fragments and part of the ironwork still there.

I suspect, along with a few others, that the Grand Staircase was in fact ejected albit in pieces. The hydrodynamic forces at work in there had to be something!

A

Adam Tarzwell

>>I suspect, along with a few others, that the Grand Staircase was in fact ejected albeit in pieces. The hydrodynamic forces at work in there had to be something!

Apart from the great loss of life that is one of the saddest things of the sinking of Titanic. The most grand feature on the Titanic completely destroyed in a matter of minutes.....