Wife who died but husband survived

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2004
Hi im wondering if there was a wife who died but husband survived? And also, were there any males on board who had more than one wife (on board or not).
Thank you all and have a great day!
Charlotte Immel

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Jonathan!

>I'd like to know who it was who sued her husband >for divorce because he left the ship in a >lifeboat before his wife and family?

Although Mrs. Carter made that claim, it wasn't true (and she knew it.)

All my best,

George

May 29, 2004
I'm sorry to disagree,George, but I have been a HUGE fan of Titanic since I was 6 or seven and I'm 12 now, and I am almost positive that Mr. Carter did step into a lifeboat before his family. If by any chance I am in correct I apologize.
Charlotte
P.S. It would help me a lot if someone could answer my original question. Thanks a million! Have a great day!

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Charlotte!

Welcome to the ET board! I hope you'll enjoy the give and take of research material that takes place here, and I'm looking forward to your contributions to the ongoing discussions.

The belief that Mr. Carter left the ship before his wife and son stemmed from the British Inquiry's belief that Mr. Carter's boat (Collapsible C) left the Titanic before Mrs. Carter's boat (boat #4.) Current research demonstrates pretty conclusively that the opposite was true. (Indeed, in 1912 Mrs. Carter herself confirmed that Mr. Carter had placed her and her son into boat #4 and remained on the ship while that boat was lowered -- although her story changed considerably by the time divorce proceedings commenced.) :)

All my best,

George

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Charlotte, welcome to the forum. In answer to your original question, I've just skimmed through the passenger list and I'm pretty well certain that no man was in the position you suggest. Quite a number of women lost husbands but the reverse doesn't seem to have happened. If it had, you can bet the 1912 papers would have made much of it.

One version of the Carter tale is that she was annoyed because when she reached Carpathia, her husband was already on board and had enjoyed a hearty breakfast, having given up on her surviving.

Mar 10, 1998
Charlotte,
Although no husbands lived while their wives died, there is the case of Ernst Persson who survived while his sister Elna Strom and her daughter Telma Strom died. That's the only case that comes to mind of a male member of the family surviving while the female members of the family died.

Phil

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Well, Phil, strictly speaking there's Trevor Allison but we'll excuse him on account of his tender years!

Mar 20, 1997
While not yet a married couple, there was also the instance of Thure Lundstrom whose assumed fiance Elina Olsson perished while he saved himself in a boat.

May 29, 2004
I just want to thank everyone for helping me figure this out and I wish everyone a great summer!
God Bless the Reagan Family!
Love,
Charlotte Immel

Status
Not open for further replies.