Wilhelm Gustloff in print and Film

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
I watched a program on the Gustloff last night on Discovery Channel (Canada). Very interesting show. They used some kind of computer program to estimate that there were 10,600 people on the ship. When they took their estimates to someone in Britain, who has a special survivor program, he estimate that just over 900 would have survivied. In actual fact, 996 survived.

Another thing that really, really bothers me is that when they dove on the wreck, they discovered that the whole center section of the wreck has been destroyed.

It turns out that at some point after WW2, the Soviets dove on the wreck, salvaged valuables, from bodies and possesssions, and then blew up the wreck to cover what they had done.

If that's true, that is totally gruesome.

Has anyone else seen this special before, and what did you think?

J

Jon Meadows

It's the Unsolved History program from the Discovery Channel. Very well done.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
"the director JOSEPH VILSMAIER will start next year shooting a movie about the WILHELM GUSTLOFF in germany. it is a high budget tv movie 10 million euro,in cooperation with teamworx production (dresden,stauffenberg,etc)...."

this from online forum wilhelmgustloff.com

Martin

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Malta-blogger.com.....

"Joseph Vilsmaier turns for the Second Channel of German Television starting from 12. March 2007 a historical two-divisor over the last travel the William Gustloff. The dramatic fall scenes are to develop on Malta in the only large water film Studio of Europe."

Hafen der Hoffnung — Die letzte Fahrt der Wilhelm Gustloff

[Port of Hope - the last travel the William Gustloff]

"The radiant emittance is planned on 30 January 2008 - that 53. Anniversary of the fall of the Gustloff."

as translated by the babelfish programme

cheers

Martin

Jaime Han

Oct 6, 2018
"the director JOSEPH VILSMAIER will start next year shooting a movie about the WILHELM GUSTLOFF in germany. it is a high budget tv movie 10 million euro,in cooperation with teamworx production (dresden,stauffenberg,etc)...."

this from online forum wilhelmgustloff.com

Martin
I've heard a lot of people talk about this website, but I can't seem to access it. Is the site no longer running?
I was on a different site called the Wilhelm Gustloff Museum, and it references wilhelmgustloff.com and Dave Krawczyk, but the site address is not working for me.