Wilhelm Gustloff

L

lisagay harrod

Thorsten,

I'm looking forward to the Gustloff article on your website. By the way, it's a great site! Continued success...let us know when you post the article.

Regards,
Lisa Harrod

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
RE: "The Cruelest Night": I was lucky to find it at our local library, in the section for ship disasters (a section I used to visit many times).

Thorsten, thank you for helping us with your answers, especially as I do not post here, that often (my schedule has me coming home quite late).

BTW, the Gustloff story is another of the ones for "the terrible price of war" subject; that, and the bombing of Dresden.

Mar 5, 2001
Thank you very much Lisa!

when i publish the Article i inform you all! No problem!

But i think the Gustloff must wait a little bit. At the moment i work on the Cap Arcona because she is build in Hamburg at Blohm & Voss and her launch was on 14.05.1927 - 75 years ago...

greetings

Thorsten

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Here is a snapshot of the Wilhelm Gustloff's companion ship Robert Ley, taken from an album done aboard a German warship 1942-'43. They are frequently referred to as sister ships but after looking at the photos I realise that they were not.
72089.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
A closer view, actually first in the sequence, taken from aboard the warship as she passed. I know nothing about the Robert Ley, but am assuming from the amount of rust and peeling paint visible in the original photo that she had been laid up during the earlier part of the war. The man who kept this album was photographed on the shore side of the bow, posing with the name visible.
72092.jpg

N

Nicolas Roughol

The Wilhelm Gustloff will be the subject of an almost two-hour long TV show on Friday (March 19th), on French TV (channel is France 3). Part of the weekly show called "Thalassa", which focuses on anything maritime and sea related.

A nice trailer is available here: http://www.thalassa.france3.fr/emission_video.php3?id_rubrique=73, it shows some footage of the ship and the wreck...

Mar 28, 2002
I caught the last half hour of a 1-hour documentary last night about the Wilhelm Gustloff called The Nazi Sea Disaster or something like that. Atually, it was very informative. Based on survivor accounts, computer simulations, and official records, they concluded that 10,614 people were aboard on the night of the disaster. As only 996 people survived, it is to be assumed that the death toll from this disaster was approximately 9,618.

The survivor interviews alone made for grim viewing.

Cheers,

Boz

Aug 19, 2004
The Sea Hunters did an episode on the Wilhelm Gustloff. It airs on History Television and National Geographic. or you can order it from their site.

Wesley Burton

Apr 22, 2004
Yeah I just saw the Sea Hunters episode a few weeks ago. It was well done I think. I wasnt surprised that they didnt find any human remains, considering the condition of the wreck.

tony sehn

Dec 30, 2004
Hi, I am new here. We have a family friend who was a red cross nurse on the Wilhelm Gustloff during the war and would like to find for her some good pictures and possibly a german film.

Apr 27, 2005
The ship and it's sinking is the dramatic part of the story. I am sure I will engender some reprisals with this comment, but, let's not get too "touchy-feely" about these deaths. These passengers were largely members of the SS, and bequeathing a horrific death to others, especially innocents, was their stock and trade. Sorry, but they reaped what they sowed after murdering millions and raping Eastern Europe.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>These passengers were largely members of the SS, and bequeathing a horrific death to others, especially innocents, was their stock and trade. Sorry, but they reaped what they sowed after murdering millions and raping Eastern Europe.<<

And a lot of them were also women and children who had nothing to do with the atrocities committed by the SS. I think it's worth noting that the Germans gave notice about this through the Swiss so that the ship would be protected. Unfortunately for the innocent bystanders aboard...and they were there....either the Russians didn't get the word or they didn't care. For obvious reasons, there was not a lot of love lost between the Russians and the Germans.

Apr 27, 2005
Michael, I respect your difference of opinion. Here, we must agree to disagree. I will warm to the idea that children should not have been made accountable for having monsterous parents. Adults are responsible for their own behaviors, actions , and choices. And you are also right again in stating that the Russians had no reason to apply remorse to this type of action. The retribution exacted by the Red Army on the people of Germany was nearly as horrific as what the Nazi Germans had meted out on Eastern Europeans.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Here, we must agree to disagree.<<

On what point exactly? I have no sympathy for the SS troop now or ever. They were combatants and took the same chances combatants would take in war. However, neither the women nor the children signed on for that and neither had any part of what the soldiers did.