Wilhelm Gustloff

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
"'the cruellest night' is a good account on the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff!" and is out of print.
It was published when I was still in school uniform. the only other english language account dates from the 1970's and that is the novelish The Damned Don't Drown' by AV Sellwood, I saw this in my local village new agency and couldn't believe my eyes. What was the Wilhelm Gustloff???
To the Boy who grew up with the Titanic and Lusitania the was a new one.

"5 books on the Estonia in German??"
Yes I was surprised too.
Both Estonia and more so the Gustloff need english language exposure to lift it out of its footnote status.
If H. Schoen's latest book were to be picked up by a good publisher in the UK and promoted through the maritime magazines I reckon it would sell. Especially w/ a subtitled version of the new film on something like Rialto Channel or History Channel.

cheers

Martin

Jan 15, 2008
Okay, I just saw the first part of the movie 'Die Gustloff. It aired on ZDF about an tonight. The second part will air tomorrow.

The first part was very boring. Again this was more of an war movie. All that german that i could'nt understand didn't help eighter.
The previews for the second part looked better. I will let you know!

Mar 5, 2001
I also saw the first Part of the movie. It is great that, as german, my german is perfect. If you interestedt in the history of the Gustloff and you understand the language then it was a great first part.

Don't forget it is an Movie not an Documentation. Some parts a fiction like the Jake & Rose Story in Camerons Titanic.

Joseph Vielsmaier who made this Movie make a great job. And the Actors (specialy Kai Wiesinger and Heiner Lauterbach) made also a great job!

i search since round about two years on the cruises the Gustloff made in the time bevor the war. She made 51 Cruises bevor the war begins. But there is not complete list of all the Cruises. I meet Arnold Kludas some weeks ago and we talk about this list. Unfortunaly he could not help me to complet the list. He had not more Dates in his list then i am in my. He had become serval Dates from me to complete his own list.

so if anyone here has original Gustloff Documents like Menu Cards....please send me an scan so that we become a complete list in the next time....

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Yahoo News:

New film explores fate of Nazi Germany's "Titanic"
quote:

BERLIN (Reuters) - A new television film about the sinking of a Nazi ship carrying thousands of German refugees at the end of World War Two has lifted the lid on one of Germany's most painful memories.

The film, to be broadcast on Sunday and Monday, tells the story of the former Nazi cruise ship "Wilhelm Gustloff," torpedoed by a Soviet submarine in the Baltic Sea on January 30, 1945. As many as 9,300 people died -- believed to be biggest loss of life on a single ship.
More at http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080302/tv_nm/germany_nazi_ship_dc

T

Timothy Trower

The Lancastria and the Gustloff -- both badly overloaded, and both bookend casualties to the war ...

Hope it comes out with English subtitles. My German is abysmal!

Jan 15, 2008
Saw the second part of the movie, This second part was mostly on the Gustloff. The first part wasn't on the Gustloff (again like night fiel uber Gotenhafen it was mostly a war movie).
In Die Gustloff about an Half hour of this 3 hour movie was about the sinking itself.
The sinking scenes were not bad, but not of the same quality of James Camerons Titanic.
To be honest, i just canceled my order of this dvd. Sorry!

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
You can get this movie on DVD? Where can you get it? Does it have English subtitles? Also another question, I'm a very conservative movie person and I'm wondering if there's any sex, nudity or graphic violence in this flick? Sorry, I'm very careful nowadays when choosing movies.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
no sex or nudity I'm sure . Just plenty of carnage I'm sure so you should be safe. It doesn't have english subtitles either.

On the carnage note, I saw on the shorts that the schwimm bad scene was toned down. A direct hit in the area would have sent steel and glass flying everywhere.

Oct 18, 2010
i watched this movie yesterday and its a must see! yes its not the best film in the world but i found it a very intresting experience to watch!

U

Unregistered

my mom & aunt are survivors

FYI My mom and aunt (still living) were survivors
Jennifer East (Windsor, Ontario, Canada)

John O'Malley

Oct 6, 2010
I found this photo while doing a random web search for ships sunk in WWII. It purports to be a photo of the Gustloff sinking and looks real. Does anyone know if it is? It would have to have been taken either by someone in the lifeboats or on the surfaced Soviet submarine.

s-13_wilhelm-gustloff.jpg

WWII Soviet submarines list at Baltic sea

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
I found this photo while doing a random web search for ships sunk in WWII. It purports to be a photo of the Gustloff sinking and looks real. Does anyone know if it is? It would have to have been taken either by someone in the lifeboats or on the surfaced Soviet submarine.

WWII Soviet submarines list at Baltic sea
It looks interesting. The image is not from an original photo but from a printed publication. text on other side can be made out in light areas of image. Real? maybe, but an original image scan might reveal more to help answer the question. Bearing in mind tthe attack was in bad weather and at night would make photography difficult to say the least.