Wilhelm Gustloff

From Yahoo News:

New film explores fate of Nazi Germany's "Titanic"
quote:

BERLIN (Reuters) - A new television film about the sinking of a Nazi ship carrying thousands of German refugees at the end of World War Two has lifted the lid on one of Germany's most painful memories.

The film, to be broadcast on Sunday and Monday, tells the story of the former Nazi cruise ship "Wilhelm Gustloff," torpedoed by a Soviet submarine in the Baltic Sea on January 30, 1945. As many as 9,300 people died -- believed to be biggest loss of life on a single ship.
More at http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080302/tv_nm/germany_nazi_ship_dc

Timothy Trower

Former Member
The Lancastria and the Gustloff -- both badly overloaded, and both bookend casualties to the war ...

Hope it comes out with English subtitles. My German is abysmal!

Saw the second part of the movie, This second part was mostly on the Gustloff. The first part wasn't on the Gustloff (again like night fiel uber Gotenhafen it was mostly a war movie).
In Die Gustloff about an Half hour of this 3 hour movie was about the sinking itself.
The sinking scenes were not bad, but not of the same quality of James Camerons Titanic.
To be honest, i just canceled my order of this dvd. Sorry!

You can get this movie on DVD? Where can you get it? Does it have English subtitles? Also another question, I'm a very conservative movie person and I'm wondering if there's any sex, nudity or graphic violence in this flick? Sorry, I'm very careful nowadays when choosing movies.

no sex or nudity I'm sure . Just plenty of carnage I'm sure so you should be safe. It doesn't have english subtitles either.

On the carnage note, I saw on the shorts that the schwimm bad scene was toned down. A direct hit in the area would have sent steel and glass flying everywhere.

close to 8.5 million Germans tuned into this which I understand is 10% of the population of a country that has 80 TV channels available.

Stern reported the viewing stats on its website.

I found this photo while doing a random web search for ships sunk in WWII. It purports to be a photo of the Gustloff sinking and looks real. Does anyone know if it is? It would have to have been taken either by someone in the lifeboats or on the surfaced Soviet submarine.

s-13_wilhelm-gustloff.jpg

WWII Soviet submarines list at Baltic sea

I found this photo while doing a random web search for ships sunk in WWII. It purports to be a photo of the Gustloff sinking and looks real. Does anyone know if it is? It would have to have been taken either by someone in the lifeboats or on the surfaced Soviet submarine.

WWII Soviet submarines list at Baltic sea
It looks interesting. The image is not from an original photo but from a printed publication. text on other side can be made out in light areas of image. Real? maybe, but an original image scan might reveal more to help answer the question. Bearing in mind tthe attack was in bad weather and at night would make photography difficult to say the least.