Will 2012 see another spike in Titanic mania

Feb 14, 2011
2012 will mark the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking, and the 15th anniversary of the Cameron Titanic film. I fully expect the film to be re-released in theatres that year, and a whole new generation of titanic buffs will be created...
Do you think the widespread public interest in Titanic will become a fad again, as it was after the Cameron film came out in 1997?

I suspect there will be more than 1 charted cruise to the site of the sinking, and I'm sure Deep ocean expeditions will offer the public dives to the wreck...(I suspect for more than the current $40,000 rate)

The titanic museum in Branson, and the traveling Titanic Artifact exhibits will be abuzz with Titanic activities...
in a nutshell- i suspect 2012 will be nuts- abuzz with Titanic mania...What do you think will happen?

Or just perhaps -2012 could see a minimal increase in public interest in Titanic....

I'm just wondering if there is a massive spike in public interest in titanic in 2012, if it will ever return to that level in the years to follow...
We might have to wait until 2112 for the next spike in interest...

As a true Titanic buff, what Titanic activities do you plan to engage in in 2012?

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

I'm just wondering if there is a massive spike in public interest in titanic in 2012, if it will ever return to that level in the years to follow...
I don't think that interest in Titanic will die, although I do believe that it will morph and develop somewhat, meaning that attitudes and perceptions will change as more information comes to light and more books published and movies produced. That's not a bad thing; on the contrary, that's preferable because new ways of thinking will generate new interest and add dimensions to the legend that fascinates so many as time goes on.

quote:

We might have to wait until 2112 for the next spike in interest...
I'm afraid none of us will be around to see that one, Tarn, at least except for those who are fortunate enough to live a long healthy life to exceed the centennial. Hey, it's been known to happen. ;)

Feb 14, 2011
I suspect we'll be honoring the 100th anniversary of the scrapping of the Olympic in the mid 2030s. Mark your calenders!

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Tarn, I, for one, will let you be in charge of the activities for the 100th anniversary of the scrapping of the Olympic in the mid 2030s.
You will definitely need to charter the coach to take people up to Inverkeeting and Alnwick (site of the White Swan Hotel, where the Olympic Lounge is) and make their reservations. You may also consider a crossing to go to Belfast and revisit the site of Harland and Wolff.
I will also recommend our "Toronto Associate" to assist you with the trivia tidbits.
grin.gif

For 2012, I anticipate that remembrances will be held in Southampton, Belfast, and Halifax. Perhaps similar ceremonies will be held in New York, as well as at Branson and the sites of the traveling exhibits.
I would respectfully hope that the Branson and traveling exhibits groups will remember that the anniversary is a solemn one, and thus suspend any other activities they may think of.

The Queen Mary Foundation agreed to have an observance, each year, for the Titanic. That started in April 2006, and I hope the new management will agree to keep this going, at least until 2012.

It is also not to early for the people in the various Titanic Societies to start looking ahead to April 2012.

Feb 14, 2011
Of course the Aztec calender predicts the end of the world will be in 2012, so who knows what will happen.... ; )

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Tarn,

quote:

what Titanic activities do you plan to engage in in 2012?
I'm not really sure yet. If the Titanic Voyages Memorial Cruise is a go and that's a big IF right now, then I will be on it and can hopefully share a cabin with Hudson Allison.
grin.gif

Otherwise, I'll see what the THS and TIS are up to, or perhaps attend an event in one of the cities.

quote:

I will also recommend our "Toronto Associate" to assist you with the trivia tidbits.
Thank you, John. Yes, I'd be willing to help out.
grin.gif

Feb 14, 2011
A visit to the Titanic graves in Halifax in 2012 would be appropriate...
I hope the people of Halifax plan something special- some kind of Titanic tribute in 2012...

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
As Tarn mentioned above, the world is going to end in 2012. They have actually narrowed it down to December of 2012 somehow.

does anyone here actually believe this? I don't.

To answer the original question, I would say it is very likely that a spike in Titanic mania will happen in 2012. There will be an increase in television specials as well as re-releases of books published prior to that year and new ones as well.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Well, if the world is going to end in 2012 we will soon be in the presence of the many people involved in the Titanic's story, and the Sour Ratatouille may be able to baste the acclaimed Mr. Jim on the issue of the cinema piece scene from ~3619 days ago.

Yes, I am posting all this in the "Peuchen Code".
"Excedrin for the Moderators"???
grin.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
BTW, does the issue of the world ending also mean that Tarn will have to move up the dates for his Olympic Tour??
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Actually, we've already gone past two dates that were supposed to be "End of Our Lives and The World Will End" times, and as one can see we're still here.

Not to go too far off-topic, I think people will remember the 100th Anniversary of the Titanic, probably by way of multiple memorials.
We'll see what our roles will be, especially as Millvina Dean is now the last survivor, and when she passes on, it will be our job to "preserve the story for future generations to learn about, and from it" (for want of a better statement; sorry about the cliches).

BTW, the two previous dates were:
1. Sometime in the late 1980s, I believe: was supposed to be the date prophesied by Nostradamus (or "Nostra-Dumb-Ass", as said by a caller to LA Radio Station KISS-FM); and
2. March 1982: the planets were to line up in a row and cause a galatic cataclysm, "The Jupiter Effect". That was during my senior year in high school, and my classmates and I mused on it supposedly happening during a Shakespeare class, to which our teacher replied "While we're on the topic of the sublime and the ridiculous, why don't we continue our discussion of THE TAMING OF THE SHREW".

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>does anyone here actually believe this? I don't. <<

People have been predicting the End Of The World for thousands of years, all with the most impeccable and irrefutable evidence.

All of them were wrong. (shrug)

>>As a true Titanic buff, what Titanic activities do you plan to engage in in 2012?<<

I may attend a gathering but I don't anticipate doing much beyond what I'm already doing now.

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

People have been predicting the End Of The World for thousands of years, all with the most impeccable and irrefutable evidence.
Goes to show that even evidence and scientific calculations are not always sure-fire, eh?

Why bother predicting the end of the world anyway? What will that bring?

quote:

I may attend a gathering but I don't anticipate doing much beyond what I'm already doing now.
Same here, Mike. I only hope that I'll be able to travel by that time. That will be some gathering, though. You can bet you Titanic collections on that. ;)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Goes to show that even evidence and scientific calculations are not always sure-fire, eh?<<

Ohhhhhhh...I didn't say it was scientific!
wink.gif

>>Why bother predicting the end of the world anyway? What will that bring?<<

Depending on who makes the sales pitch, one helluva lucrative income!

Mar 15, 2001
I don't think we will ever see things like we did during Titanics zenith years of 1997 and 1998, not even on the 100th anniversary. Hollywood has a way of glamorizing things which they did with Titanic. During those years, the Titanic was a topic of conversation for millions of people.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>...not even on the 100th anniversary.<<

I'm not so sure about that. You may well be right, but nice round numbers like Hundredth Anniverseries tend to be a magnet for some attention. Given the success of the Cameron film, it would be decidedly odd if somebody didn't try riding on it's coattails and play it up some.

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
That would be cool - some movies should be seen on the big screen and this movie is one of them!!!!

Mar 15, 2001
I would have thought Saint Louis would have done something big for the most famous of all world fairs- The 1904 Worlds Fair in Saint Louis. Nothing was done for that as far as I know. I know here in NC, a big year long celebration with many different events was held for the Wright brothers first flight in 1903 for the 1OOth celebration.