Will Ballard write a new Titanic book on the latest expedition

Feb 14, 2011
I hope Dr Ballard will pen a book about the upcoming Titanic expedition he's undertaking through NOAA.....
When might we expect such a book?

For some odd reason, I feel as if Ballard wants to wrestle the mantle of 'Titanic explorer' back from James Cameron.

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
This one was announced as being in the works when the expedition was. Whether anyone wants to wrest the "title" of Titanic Explorer doesn't really concern me an awful lot. I'm an avowed information hog. So long as it's accurate, bring it on!

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
I'm sure Ballard won't be writing a new book, though I'm equally sure that one will appear with his name on it again anyway...

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
Speaking of the Ballard/Cameron relationship: weren't they both on Oprah (along with Don Lynch and a few others) a few years back when the movie came out?

Jim

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I'm sure Ballard won't be writing a new book, though I'm equally sure that one will appear with his name on it again anyway...<<

Yeah...probably true. I don't think I'll worry about it. As I indicated, it's information I'm after. So long as it's accurate, I'm a happy camper and I'll leave the rest to tend to itself.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know about any of us being "suckers." I mean, at least the information does get published. The same can't be said of certain other parties that have sent expeditions out to the wreck site.
smoke.gif

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
True; just how many RMST Inc. expeditions were there? And what info/footage did we really get from all those hours on the seabed, in total? Very little. No, they were more concerned with scooping up more goodies...

I wonder if our dear Mr Marschall will be involved with any new wreck imagery from this trip?

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
The same could be said of Dr.Ballard's expeditions, Mike. How much of the debris field and wreckage did he see? And how much has he graciously allowed to be shown over the years? Very little!

It seems to me that Ballrd went to the Titanic wreck with photogenic "targets" in mind: exploring the Grand staircase, seeing if the wing screws were under the stern.... anything else didn't seem to figure in plans. How on earth could he miss that 30 foot hole in the starboard side of the bow section?

Cheers

Paul

Feb 14, 2011
The wrecksite will be abuzz with activity in the next year..There is the NOAA expedition (with Ballard), plus the dives for the public will take place next year, and RMS Titanic Inc wants to go back in 2005 to recover more artifacts.

As for Ballard's book, I hope we'll be greeted to a stern section mosaic, one thing we did not get with his first book.....

'Then and now' shots, comparing the same views from 1912, 1986 and 2004 might be very interesting....

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 8, 2000
(Heh. Having a quick squiz at some of the more dubious tomes in my Titanic library, I'll have to agree with Mike B about 'some' of us at any rate.)

Like Tarn, I wouldn't mind a stern section mosaic and comparison of damage/deterioration across the years.

I'd also like to know a lot more about the 'oasis of life' thriving on Titanic's wreck.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The same could be said of Dr.Ballard's expeditions, Mike. How much of the debris field and wreckage did he see? And how much has he graciously allowed to be shown over the years?<<

Well, we've seen more from Dr. Ballard then we've seen from RMSTI. I don't know if every photo they ever took would be all that useful anyway. It's mighty dark down there and the photos may not always be that revealing. There's also the question of who holds the data, which in the case of the Ballard expeditions is Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute if memory serves. Since they would have the rights to all of this, you may have to take your concerns up with them. To the best of my knowladge, these are accessable. Perhaps not easily, but you can get to it.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
You can also get access to the RMSTI video footage (though I'm not sure how!). Roy Mengot has seen some of it first hand- he related in a Titanic mailing list how he thinks the crows nest was dislodged.

Cheers

Paul

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
RMST Inc want to go back in '05 for another shopping trip?! What happened to them being skint and wanting to sell off the artifacts/give up salvor rights? Have I missed something here? And are they wanting to raise more goodies, which maybe will then fall under a different ruling than the previous haul, and thus COULD be sold?

What's going on?

Nov 12, 2000
Hi Mike,
Bill Willard is the man to answer your question, but from what I understand although the management of RMST wanted to sell off the salvage rights, the stock holders did not. As with so much else involving RMST, this is now in legal limbo, but thus far RMST has not relinquished their salvor in possession status.

On the other hand, if they don't get their act together and get another expedition going soon, they are going to loose exclusive salvage rights by default.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Dec 6, 2000
Paul - I know the video footage Roy Mengot has viewed in detail is Ballard's 1985 and 1986 footage. I am not aware that he has seen the RMST footage, though I could be wrong.