Will there ever be another big Titanic movie released in theaters?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
The most recent film in theaters to feature a cameo of the Titanic is Holmes & Watson, but I don't know if anyone would be willing to bring a Titanic film back to the big screen after the success of James Cameron's 1997 film.

An interesting footnote: Arthur C. Clarke's 1976 novel Imperial Earth features a raised Titanic in one piece as a museum exhibit in New York City in the year 2276 and a tour guide on board says that the "most ambitious" movie about the Titanic will shortly begin filming on board the raised vessel before showing the tour guide group a screening of the 1958 film A Night to Remember.

Little did Arthur C. Clarke know that the wreck would be found in two pieces in 1985, and that James Cameron would include filmed footage of the wreck in his "ambitious" 1997 film, which turned out to be the highest-grossing film of that time.

Jan 23, 2019
Cameron's movie is now 22 years old, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's going to be a theatrical release some time in the next 5-8 years. 30 years without such a release would be abnormal as far as the last century is concerned. I imagine it would be compared mostly to Cameron's movie with further references to Lord's.

Reactions: Dan Kappes

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I'm sure there will be another movie..
I hope the next one has no Jack & Jill in it....or even Rose for that matter. I'd like to see a really good semi-documentary film about the Titanic made with minimal artist's licence and sticking as close to the facts as possible. The facts themselves are more than interesting enough without the need for cheap embellishments.
If it was to be made in the next 5 years, my choice of director would be Paul Greengrass.

Nov 14, 2005
Well I guess we will have to wait and see. Hollywood/Movie industry is going thru a transition right now. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon...ect are producing their own movies that go to their streaming sites and never show up at theaters. I've been surprised at how many of the bigger stars have jumped ship and gone that route lately. I guess they see the hand writing on the wall.

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
At least after the 97 film, there were some great TV dramas about the Titanic like Blood & Steel and the 2012 one written by Julian Fellowes. (Fellowes also wrote Downton Abbey, the first episode of which mentions the Titanic)

But there have been over 20 cinema films and TV shows/episodes about the Titanic throughout the 20th century, so we'll see if we reach that number or go even higher in the future!

By the way, Paul Greengrass included a reference to ANTR in United 93, when the passengers on a doomed transportation vessel say prayers right before the end.