William Cross

May 22, 2005
My great, great uncle, W. Cross, was probably a fireman on board the Titanic and was not one of the fortunate 10 firemen who survived. His body was lost at sea. To be absolutely sure that I am not jumping to conclusions - despite family folklore, correct surname, age etc, I wonder if anyone knows how I may establish his Christian name. My relative's Christian name was William. Sign on sheets indicate that W Cross came from the Oceanic, but I have not been able to identify him further. Were the widows of crew members compensated for their loss? If so, perhaps I might be able to trace him through any documentation that might exist? As I am a novice at this, can anyone point me in the right direction? Many thanks.
Sandra
PS Apologies for possible double posting - erroneously placed in cabin numbers discussion(!?). tried to delete - not sure if I have been successful.

Apr 27, 2003
Cross, W. Lived at 97 Ludlow Road, Itchen, Southampton. Occupation - Fireman. 39 years old. (Born in Hampshire).
(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number 72. Cross, Annie. Widow. Class G dependent. A Class G dependent received 12/6 (52P) per week.
He has a Memorial brick in his name in the Woolston, Southampton, Millennium Garden known as the Feathers in Victoria Road Woolston - which opened in April 2002.

May 22, 2005
Brian & Bob
Thanks for such a swift response! The Christian name William certainly fits with my relative, but the place of birth doesn't. My William Cross was born in Coventry to James & Lucy Cross and became somewhat elusive after the 1891 census. I am beginning to wonder whether I have the right person, although there were no other people with the surname of Cross on board. I can't establish any plausible reference to William Cross (with or without Annie), born in Hampshire in the 1901 census. Are there any census records of the seafaring community? This being said, I have a possible reference in 1901 to a William Cross born in Coventry married to Amy, who worked as a millhand in a gunpowder factory in Middlesex, with no children. Any suggestions?
Again, many thanks for your help.
Sandra

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Just had a quick check, Sandra. I'd guess that the William Cross found by Craig is the one shown in the 1881 census to be 8 years old, born in Bournemouth, Hants to parents Joseph and Edith. He is exactly the right age for the the Titanic fireman in 1881, but the Coventry William, son of James and Lucy Cross, was then 11.

The 1901 census shows only one 28-year old William Cross born in Bournemouth - then working as a grocer's assistant in that town. If he's our man he wasn't yet wed, as there was no Annie Cross in the same location. The lack of children does suggest the possibility of a late marriage - and perhaps an incentive to switch to a line of work which paid a great deal more than working in a shop. Just a speculation, of course.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Stop press - there was an Anne Cross, 26, working as a parlourmaid in Bournemouth in 1901. That of course is as far as you can go without paying the National Archive for the addresses! :)

May 22, 2005
Does it say where she was born? I have a subscription to Ancestry.co.uk (how sad - becoming more & more geeky as the weeks progress), but I can't find an Anne Cross living in Bournemouth. I have found that it tends to work better if a birthplace is provided. This of course doesn't account for the family story that Uncle went down with the ship. Not sure how to reconcile this...

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Try Great Cheverell, Wiltshire if you need the birthplace.

I can't really comment on the family recollections without knowing exactly what story has been passed down. The names of the lost were of course listed in all the papers at the time, and distant relatives might have noticed a familiar name and wondered if it could be 'their' William Cross, especially if he actually was a fireman. Stories can certainly 'grow in the telling' over the years.

May 22, 2005
I agree; I will contact a great-aunt, whose mother's brother was William, and see what are her recollections. It would be poignant if someone could claim William Cross after all these years. Thanks for all your help - I will post any further info whenever I get it.

May 22, 2005
How sure are we of the accuracy of William Cross' details? I have checked with surviving relatives, and the family story is that William went down on the Titanic, but the birth place & name of his father do not correspond.

A

Andrew Williams

Sandra - to solve your problem have you tried the UKBDM site. By punching in the details of the family names you can build up a picture and work out quickly the identity of his father.

A.W.

A

Andrew Williams

Sandra - The site is starting to get busy. So the best solution is to try later this afternoon, although the weekend is upon us and on Sunday's the site is usually blocked solid. Sunday's is worse for all sorts of enquiries.

However, the nearest date I have found regarding a marriage of William to a woman called - Annie. Whether these two are people concern remains unknown.

Dec 1905.

Cross - William

Hill - Annie Elizabeth

District - Portsmouth

Volume - 2b

Page - 1080

Hope this helps.

A.W.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Andrew. Sandra is a subscriber to Ancestry.co.uk, which includes the Civil Registration Index data provided by FreeBDM and works faster than their own site. Very useful data, I agree, but I don't share your optimism that it will enable us to quickly identify a parent, though it can help to narrow a range of possibilities.

Sandra, the crucial point for Mr Cross is 'born in Hampshire'. That's what he said himself when he signed on, and if he was telling the truth about that and his age, then the Census reveals only one possibility and that's William Cross from Bournemouth. In 1901 he was still unmarried, living with his parents in that town and working in a grocery shop, having given up on an earlier apprenticeship in a different trade. So he was perhaps reluctant to commit himself either to marriage or to a career choice and maybe ready for another change to a job which paid a lot more.

The marriage is difficult. Cross had no dependent children, which means either an early marriage and the children flown the coop, or no children at all and a probable late marriage. The latter scenario would fit William Cross from Bournemouth, and one likely candidate is Annie Webb and a marriage in South Stoneham (in or close to Southampton, I believe) in 1907. But of course this is still just another possibility.

dagmar

Apr 11, 2011
Hi, my nans uncle was called William Cross and he was a stoker on the Titanic, her name was Charlotte Annie Cross and her sisters were called Dolly and Ethel..I do not know their mothers name sorry, I do know that my nan was born in Hendon, London. I'm not sure if this is the same William Cross that you are looking for but I would love to know more if this is the same person..

A Hansford

Jan 9, 2016
Hello drag mar hope you get this as it's 2016 now . Your nan is my nans sister Ethel . I have pictures of there parents with some children . Did you know they had brothers too