William E Carter II

May 12, 2005
Mikes (Findlay & Herbold)-

Re: Behr & Williams

It should be added that the two played together at the Davis Cup in 1914. There's a series of great team photos I've seen.

Also, though Williams became "big" later on, Behr was the greater and more famous player in 1912. He'd won Wimbledon already; I think in 1907.

Also to Mike F & Phil G, etc -

Come to think of it, I may be wrong re: Williams' having such a rosy time personally after Titanic. I can't think where I heard it but isn't there something about his marriage being less than happy? Maybe I'm just getting mixed up.

Randy

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Randy,

Yes, Behr was the greater and more famous player in 1912. In fact, Williams wrote in his privately printed memoirs that he was very interested to see Karl's name on the Titanic's passenger list and noted that he had been watching his tennis career very close for quite some time.

Regarding the Williams marriage, I can only say that it was a very close one. I've known "Sue" Williams since 1984, and she is one of the most gracious women I have ever met. When she attended the Sports Illustrated program in 1998, she wore a lovely blue dress and told us, "Dick loved the color blue, so I'm wearing it today for him." It was emotional for her at times to speak about her late husband, but the love she still had for him was evident. A truly special lady.

Best,

Mike

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Randy,
You'll notice that Richard Norris Williams' wife Sue is quite a bit younger than he was. Prior to his marriage to Sue, he had married a woman slightly older than himself, a native New Yorker. I'm sure this is who you are referring to--I'll send you some further information on that marriage.

Regards,
Phil

Apr 16, 2001
Hey Shell
happy.gif

Yes, Behr and Williams played together in Newport but it was after 1915. I forget the year - must contact Mr. Harrison on that one. Photographs of both men appear in the Hall of Fame up there too.

Williams and Behr were Newport regulars to the summer season and played their share of tennis in the colony but they never maintained a residence there for any extended period. Behr preferred spending summers in Morristown, New Jersey, and played tennis there.

Mike

Apr 16, 2001
Randy,

You're right - I meant to say 1914 not 1915. I was thinking of the 1915 match in Morristown in which there was much coverage about the game - just no mention of the Titanic which I thought was rather interesting. Shell was referring to the comment that Mr. Bill Harrison made when he took us through the Tennis Hall of Fame. Behr and Williams played one another during the regular season up in Newport after the 1914 season as well. They played one another in Morristown in 1915, and apparently their paths crossed on several occasions on the court for some years.

I would have loved to have been present for one of the matches. It's a shame no pictures appear to exist of any of their actual games. Sue Williams has numerous newsreels of her husband at play in the 1920s and 1930s but none of them feature Karl Behr.

Best,

Mike

May 12, 2005
Mike,

There is a great picture I've seen (I don't own it unfortunately!) of Behr, Williams and 2 other players in 1914 (just prior to the Davis Cup). They are standing together, all smiles, and Williams has an arm around Behr, a very jovial "buddy" picture.

Randy

Aug 2, 2006
He was born today in 1900. Happy Birthday William.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing the same passenger. MAB]

F

Frank Fox

I've been interested in the Carter family that traveled first class on the Titanic. In school, we're doing these reports on passengers so I picked William "Billy" Carter II. I was wondering if anyone knew anything on them. My reports due on Sept 18. I hope someone can help me! Thanks
Hi Kevin. Only 19 years late in assisting you with your paper. I live on the main line area of Philadelphia where Carters wife was raised. The word is Carter may have panicked and choose to save himself on the Titanic and his wife and 2 kids including William the 2nd got on boat 4 with the mother. They divorced 2 years later and she married a guy named Brooke and they leased an outrageous summer home of a wealthy Philadelphia family. I just discovered the house YESTERDAY and have obsessed finding out more about it's history.

Anyway, hope you got an "A" on your 2001 report and you haven't looked back since.

Best,

Frank Fox
Radsnor, PA