William Edwy Ryerson

Andrew Maheux

Dec 4, 2000
The Ryerson family had a distant cousin that was also on the Titanic working as a 1st class saloon steward. His name was William Edwy Ryerson and he survived the sinking. Does anybody know if the Ryersons knew that their cousin was also on board?

Any info will be great.

Thanxs,

Andrew

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Andrew!

Phyllis Ryerse (the Ryerson family genealogist) and I have both tried to find the answer to that question, but without success. We feel it's pretty unlikely, though, that Arthur Ryerson knew about William Edwy's presence on the Titanic (or vice versa.)

By the way, Phyllis is the author of an excellent Commutator article about the Ryerson family: "Rich Man, Poor Man."

All my best,

George

G

Gavin Murphy

I think George's comments are corroborated in Titanic: The Canadian Story by Alan Hustak.

G

Apr 14, 2001
i would like to know if mr and mrs ryerson ever got to meet their distant cousin william edwy ryerson years after the sinking and if not what was the reason for not meeting because if i had a relative who was on board the ship that i was sailing on i would do all i can to see that person thanks jenny mueller

Apr 22, 2012
Michael,

That book was "Titanic: An Illustrated History." As you said, they did not know their distant cousin was aboard.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Apr 14, 2001
i have that book and my question and i know that they didnt meet on the ship the question is if they ever met years after the sinking jennifer mueller

S

Stephen Trois

I am in contact with decendents of the Ryersons
they have little information. They do however know much about their extesive family roots. They are most freindly and helpful.
SET

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Michael,

That book was "Titanic: An Illustrated History." As you said, they did not know their distant cousin was aboard.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.
I am eternally fascinated about this "the other Ryerson" story, which certainly rings true. Is it not highly likely that the 1st Class Ryerson family did not want to know that their poor relative was on board, considering the strict social divisions of the time?

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Over the years I have tried to find out more information about how William "the other" Ryerson survived but have drawn a blank. On ET there is a brief biography about his life before and after the Titanic disaster but nothing at all about his activities on board during the voyage much less how me might have survived the sinking. He is not even mentioned in any of the Lifeboats' survivor lists.

I checked various books about the Titanic that I own and other than a brief mention and photograph in Don Lynch's Titanic boon, there is no more information. I find this surprising and frustrating since he survived to tell his tale (he must have told a few people over the years) lived both in England and Canada at various times to do so.

I'll be grateful if others with more information post it here.