William H Harbeck

tom blackburn

Jul 1, 2004
Looking for some info on Mr. Harbeck. Found a postcard sent from Toledo OH on May 1, 1912. Sender refers to her landlady as losing her son-in-law on the ship that went down and his body being returned to NY. Did some research and found that it referred to Mr. Harbeck. A very interesting gentleman. I am trying to clear up a few facts.
Did Henriette Yvrois travel with Mr. Harbeck from Seattle or did she meet up with him in Europe?
Is there a letter (copy) available detailing the $50,000 to be paid to him for filming the Titanic voyage?
Who was this Brownie Harbeck from Seattle who contacted the department about Mr. Harbecks personal belongings? Why did she use his last name? Was she doing this to try and get his belongings? Was she a second wife? Was she in reality his business partner Katherine George?

tom blackburn

Jul 1, 2004
Looking for some info on Mr. William H. Harbeck. Found a postcard sent from Toledo OH on May 1, 1912. Sender refers to her landlady as losing her son-in-law on the ship that went down and his body being returned to NY. Did some research and found that it referred to Mr. Harbeck who lived on Michigan St just 2 blocks from the senders address. A very interesting gentleman. I am trying to clear up a few facts.
Did Henriette Yvrois travel with Mr. Harbeck from Seattle or did she meet up with him in Europe. Since the mysterious Browne Harbeck was from Seattle (the filmmakers studio?) and knew about the purse found with the recovered body of Mr. Harbeck, Miss Yvrois could have been a model used by Mr. Harbeck at his studio or in some of his films.
Is there a letter (copy) available detailing the $50,000 to be paid to him for filming the Titanic voyage?
Who was this Brownie Harbeck from Seattle who contacted the department about Mr. Harbecks personal belongings? Why did she use his last name? Was she doing this to try and get his belongings? Was she a second wife or mistress? Was she in reality his business partner Katherine George?

[Moderator's note: This post was in another thread started today, but has been moved to the pre-existing one on the same subject. JDT]

Feb 24, 2004
...Along with his mother Margaret, wife Catherine, and their two sons, John and Stanley. Two space are unused. Will's dad is buried in Long Beach, CA, I believe.

Roy

Jan 10, 2008
I am in Vancouver, BC. I am working on a project with the Vancouver Historical Society. It is a volunteer project. What we are doing is taking a film of Vancouver made by William Harbeck. he made this film in 1907. We have taken that footage which is a camera on the front of a streetcar, recreated the route in 2007 and are adding an historical cultural component and producing this all on a DVD. This message is a request for any early information on Harbeck as a film maker. Our Harbeck biographer has hit the usual sources but would love anything else. Also, if any Harbeck buffs know of anything about Hale's Tourist Amusement Company based in Portland Oregon at this time. We feel that this was one of Harbeck's employers in teh early 1900's. I realize that these questions are all a bit off topic from teh Titanic but as I have been reading thru the messages, there seems to be some excitement in this group for William Harbeck. Thank you. Please feel free to forward via private email if you like.
Mary-Lou Storey
Vancouver, BC

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, Mary-Lou!

John has been acting as the go-between over the last few days and I'm sure the three of us will be in touch shortly.

Roy

M

Matt Pereira

I have read the book that was written by Lawrence Beesley. In this book he talks at the beginning about the New York incident where the New York mooring lines snapped and her stern swung towards the Titanic. He also stated that there was a passenger with his wife using a camera recording the events of the officer on the docking bridge using the telegraphs telephoning the bridge and raising white and red flags. He states that the young man was an american. He also states that the film nor him or his wife made it to the other side indicating New York.

I am wondering if anyone knows the name of this passenger and his wife and if they really did died in the sinking or if they were like some of the few that got off before the New York run? I am also wondering if the two actually did survive the sinking or if they got off before the sinking at the destinations before New York if this film has ever surfaced.

M

Matt Pereira

Ah ok, I was just going by what Lawrence Beesley said in his book, he refered to the woman as his wife. Ill check that link out though. Shame that the footage didnt survive.

[Moderator's Note: This post and the two above it, originally posted as a separate thread in another subtopic have been moved to the pre-existing one, which is discussing the same passenger. JDT]