William McMaster Murdoch A Career at Sea

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
David, will you be bringing copies of your books to the BTS convention? I still haven't purchased copies, and am most keen to do so.

It's interesting - and somewhat sad to note, in light of Susanne's scathing remarks about the crew of the Oceanic - that poor James Moody was absolutely delighted to be serving with Lightoller again (Lights had left the Oceanic at the end of 1911), but - whilst he'd never met Murdoch - had heard very good things about him as well. In his surviving correspondence there is no 'us' and 'them' mentality. Nor have the families of Boxhall or Lowe ever suggested that these men recalled the sort of 'two opposing camps' that Susanne suggest...and Lowe was inclined to name names and privately comment on the WSL and her men. As the outsider in the group, knowing no one aboard and never having served aboard either the Oceanic or Adriatic, he would be expected to note if there was any tension between the two. His only recorded observation came at the American Inquiry, when in response to a question he noted that many of his fellow officers had served on the Oceanic. Had the two camps been readily discernable, one would expect him to say 'Oceanic and Adriatic'. But Murdoch, too, was an Oceanic man of old...

Whilst Boxhall had served on the Oceanic, that was back in '09/'10. The only other officer he knew was Lightoller. Hard to see him engaging in the sort of tribalism Susanne ascribes to the crew. As one colleague of mine so aptly put it, she makes it sound like it was the Hatfields and the McCoys on the decks of the Titanic.

D

David Haisman

Hi Inger,
I shall have copies of both books for sale at the BTS Convention, and will of course, look forward to meeting you there in April.
Best wishes ,
David

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Hi David,

My wife Rose Ann and I look forward to seeing you and your lovely wife again as well and lots of great conversations, sir.

Best regards,
Cook

D

David Haisman

Hi Pat,
It's good to hear from you and of course, Lyn and I will once again be delighted to meet you and Rose Ann again. Great conversations will indeed abound and no doubt many a yarn will be spun.
All the best,

David

D

David Haisman

Hello again Inger,

Good to know that you will be present and ''cashed up''
In that case, perhaps the bar could be the selected venue into splicing the mainbrace as the sun rises over the yard arm !
................or something of that nature!

All the best,
David

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Will there be anything left at the bar by the time you two get done? Ahhhhh well, splicing the mainbrace is a tough job, but somebody's got to do it. Cheers!
wink.gif

D

David Haisman

Ahhh!.... With the sun coming up on the horizon it could be quite a venue for those ''nocturnals'' amongst us! Pity you can't join us Michael.
All the best,
David

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
David, I have a feeling I wouldn't last the route anyway. I've never been much of a drinker. I like my Guinness or Harps, but one or two and I'm done! After 20 years at sea and basically doing without a few times too often, I do like my sleep too.

Oh, I got my copy of the Murdoch bio in the snail mail yesterday and I just started reading it. My first impression is that it tends to sugercoat Will Murdoch's character by making him look a tad larger then life, but at the same time, I can tell it's been very thoroughly researched. I think I'm going to enjoy it!

M

Melissa E. Kalson

I just finished reading my copy of the Murdoch book. I am pleased with both the quality of the print job and the beauty of the book itself. It's a real treasure there. But I feel rather sad that she had to denigrate so many people just to make William Murdoch look good. Almost god like I think. Anyway I've read the other reviews and they seem to hit it on the nail. Otherwise I'm not sorry I purchased the book. It's a wonderful addition to my collection. Sincerely, Melissa K.

M

Melissa E. Kalson

Oops I forgot to add this to my post.. But Michael Tennaro I thanked you privately but now here's a public thank you. You did a great job in packing the book. I can see that you really care about your books and how they arrive to the customer. If only everyone felt that way about books. I'm a book lover and love to have my books in pristine condition and keep them that way. Hats off Michael T. for a splendid job in both efficiency and quality of service. Sincerely, Melissa K.

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Melissa!

I agree with you about Michael Tennaro. Last week I received a book from Michael and was very impressed by his prompt service and by the extreme care with which he packed my purchase. It's obvious that Michael loves books just as much as you and I do, and I'll definitely be ordering from him again in the future. (Perhaps a 19th century African book next time . . . ) :)

All my best,

George

Oct 13, 2000
Melissa, George, thank you for the kind words. I am indeed a true lover of books; I could not imagine a world without them. like you Melissa, I am obsessive about keeping my books in as pristine condition as possible. its comical to see me trying to read a softcover book with a cheap binding - barely opening it enough so that I can see the text. tis a disease I tell you!

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Whats the Going Price for her 1st book "Goodbye, Good Luck: The Biography of William McMaster Murdoch"? Just Wondering As I'm Very Interested in Purchasing a copy. If anyone should have a Copy they'd like to sell, know someone who wants to, or knows where I can find this book, please contact me Privately.

L

Lynda Franklin

I have been looking for the Murdoch book everywhere.Sigh I saw it once on amazon for about 36 dollars once now I wish I had bought it.Cause I want to read more about Murdoch's life as well as Wilde's.

L

Lynda Franklin

Over on amazon.com/UK there is a seller that has the murdoch book Goodbye Goodluck for 135 pounds and the above Murdoch for 29.99 pounds I may order it but I will have to look what it is in US dolllars .Silly question but is there any other place to look for this book ?Any why is William Murdoch A career at sea so hard to find it isn't that old of a book ?

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Lynda, Although "William Murdoch A career at sea" was not privately published and limited to only 500 copies, It was not a mass published book, it was more of something for niche market, as in those w/ a specific interest in Titanic and Murdoch. I myself have read the book and found it to be highly controversial, the research great however and when it comes to Titanic the Author tends to think outside the box. this book is highly recomended by me.

Oct 13, 2000
Career at Sea was indeed privately published by the author.

This book did not have any particular sized print run as she was able to print them in small quantities as they were ordered. Lynda, that is why you are having such a hard time finding a copy. The age of the book is not the issue.

Unfortunately, she is not printing any more copies, and her website seems to be down as well.

I'll see if I can contact her and find out what's up. If I get a reply I will post it here.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

L

Lynda Franklin

Thanks for the replies for what I have read it sounds like the author made Murdoch look like a god for the want of a better term.At the expense of the other officers ?If that is true it makes me glad I can't find it.I really can't stand that tone of book if I wasn't so curious about him I wouldn't be interested at all.