William McMaster Murdoch A Career at Sea

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Unfortunately yes, Lynda - Murdoch's role is enhanced at the expense of most of his fellow deck officers (often with unintentionally amusing results). I found the effect the opposite of what was intended - rather than liking him more, I began to feel rather less enthusiastic about Practically Perfect Will. Had to keep in mind why I regarded him highly in the first place!

If you are very interested in Murdoch, however, I would recommend looking into the book. Much as I emphatically disagree with many of Stormer's interpretations and conjectural readings of the evidence, there are photos and information that you won't easily find elsewhere.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Thanks for the replies for what I have read it sounds like the author made Murdoch look like a god for the want of a better term.At the expense of the other officers ?<<

Yeah, there is that and it's makes me wonder if perhaps the author got a little too close to her subject at the expense of her objectivity. Will Murdoch was certainly no water walker and if he were around today, I think he would be the very first one to say as much.

By the same tokan, can anyone show me anything that even comes close to a comprehensive biography of any of the Titanic's officers? There may be a couple but the pickings are mighty slim. For that reason and the reasons cited by Inger, don't hesitate to snap up a copy if you can get one. I did when it became available and I have no regrets.

L

Lynda Franklin

The pickings are slim on all of titanic's officers.I would like to find a book on all of them but alas no .

Oct 13, 2000
Hi Lynda,
Susanne confirmed that Career at Sea is indeed no longer available. That means finding one of the secondary market, which is going to be difficult and probably expensive. Reason? One as old as time, limited supply, large demand.

While there is no one book on the officers of the Titanic, there is the next best thing: Inger and Jemma's wonderful site "On Watch, The Deck Officers of the Titanic". Check it out here:

http://www.nautical-papers.com/onwatch/index.html

Michael, there are biographies of several of Titanic's officers, some more comprehensive than others. There is:

Stenson's biography of Charles Lightoller.
Störmer's biography of Murdoch.
Gary Cooper's bio of Captain Smith.

And of course there is that semi-mythical bio of Officer Lowe. Just how is that coming Inger???? I haven't pestered you about it in a long time. lol.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

L

Lynda Franklin

Damn shame that people are so greedy ..the ones I have seen go for high prices not worth in my book.But thanks for the reply.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
quote:

And of course there is that semi-mythical bio of Officer Lowe. Just how is that coming Inger???? I haven't pestered you about it in a long time. lol.
You can pester me any time, Mike
happy.gif

Publication is held up by one major obstacle at this time...a distracted author! The book is to all intents and purposes complete, although as always there's the temptation to just follow up just one more lead. I've let it sit and simmer for quite a while before going back and making a few amendments and updates, but it has mostly been work and personal committments that have prevented me from seeking a publisher.​

L

Lynda Franklin

Side note if anyone knows of a reasonable price for each book on murdoch let me know.This reallly should go to Amazon.com/uk but why do they have for 29.99 british currency if the book is out of stock with the publisher ? You think they would check before making people wait for book that ain't gonna come in this lifetime.

Jeanie

May 24, 1998
Hello everybody,

I`ve also searched everywhere for a copy of "A career at sea" and didn`t have any luck by now.

Would perhaps anybody be willing to sell his or her copy of the book?

Kindly
Jeanie