William Wilson thumbing a lift to Cherbourg not listed

Mar 28, 2002
Afternoon folks,

In the Marketplace thread, I posted a link to a story about blueprints belonging to William Wilson that are to be auctioned at BTS in April.

Apparently, William Wilson was an engineer / designer with Harland and Wolff in Belfast and formed part of the Guarantee Group travelling between Belfast and Southampton. Wilson was ultimately on his way to help with repairs to the H & W ship Rotterdam held up in Cherbourg.

If Wilson boarded the Titanic in Belfast on 2nd April 1912 and travelled with her to Southampton, arriving on the 3rd, did he stay on board until the Titanic arrived in Cherbourg on the 10th or did he make his own way to Cherbourg sometime after the 3rd?

The story goes that Roderick Chisholm replaced William Wilson because Wilson was needed for the repair of the Rotterdam. Was Wilson scheduled to sail with the Guarantee Group to New York or was it always the intention that Wilson was just thumbing a lift down to Cherbourg?

Either way, wouldn't Wilson have to officially be included in the Belfast - Southampton leg of the trip at least, as 415 other crewmen were, according to ET? The only criteria that should include him either as a passenger or crew member is the confirmation that he was travelling on the Titanic. Indeed, can this even be confirmed?

Cheers,

Boz

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Either way, wouldn't Wilson have to officially be included in the Belfast - Southampton leg of the trip at least, as 415 other crewmen were, according to ET? <<

I would think so. Almost certainly, you would think his name would appear on a list of passengers going to Cherbourg if he in fact rode the ship as claimed. Customs and immigration authorities tend to get a bit cranky about foreign nationals coming to their countries without something in the way of documentation.

There might have been some exception at work here, but colour me skeptical on this one.