Wimbledon Champ

May 28, 2001
hi

there was a really interesting thing in the Guardian about a previous Wimbledon champ being connected (well, surviving, actually !) the sinking.

I tried to cut and paste the link, but, curses, the link didn't work, so I suggest you hoof it to the Guardian site http://sport.guardian.co.uk/ (this does work !) and put Titanic in the search.

Low tech, but functional.

S

Stephen Hurst

...amazing!!, I wonder how many more articles like this are still = hidden away!

Stephen

Tony Sheils

Jan 6, 2001
Susan

I too read the very interesting article "Titanic survivor who became a champion" in the Guardian on 8 July. On checking the ET biography for Richard Norris Williams I noted the close similarity of parts of it to what appeared in the Guardian. The ET bio could have been the source, but there was no attribution. I decided therefore, on balance, not to draw it to the attention of ET readers.

I was unaware of RNW's story until I read it in the Guardian, and Stephen also clearly enjoyed it. Perhaps you were right to give it greater publicity, particularly to Titanic buffs.

Tony

Jul 29, 2001
Aside from his Wimbledon, American and Davis Cup triumphs, Dick Williams was (I think) a losing quarter-finalist in both the mens singles and mens doubles in the 1924 Olympics, in Paris. But much more notably, he won the Olympic Gold medal in the Mixed Doubles, with Hazel Wightman.

In David Wallechinsky's "The Complete Book of the Olympics" (2000 edition) there is an account of his Titanic experience - similar to that included on ET - and also a paragraph on his Olympic final victory (over fellow-Americans Marion Jessup and Vincent Richards).

Apparently Williams had sprained his ankle in the semi-finals and had suggested to his partner that they withdraw from the final. She refused, telling him to stay by the net and that she would cover the rest of the court. Williams credited Hazel Wightman with their victory, claiming that he himself had not moved much during the game(!)

cheers,

bob