Windsor Castle

Mark Ling

Apr 12, 2005
The following may be of interest to other liner enthusiasts and collectors. Except from Lloyds List, Monday 8 August: "there was a great deal of sadness when it was discovered that the former mail ship Windsor Castle, after languishing in the Latsis "ghost fleet" for many years had been sent for demolition. We hear that John McMinn of Boyatt Ships in Southampton has been to the beach in Alang where the ship is reposing, to acquire some pieces for a client. ..he had been with a trader in nautical artefacts and have established a link with the ship breaker, who will be chomping his way through the big ship for many months. Email him on [email protected] for small items from this largely unaltered example of British shipping".

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
Another one gone then. Actually I was already aware of this development via other sources.

I well recall her gala maiden departure from Cape Town. At the time we were alongside in Duncan Dock just across from the mailship berth. She was short of air on the whistle and could only manage two and a half farewell blasts! No doubt they sorted that out later.

Sic transit....

Noel

Mark Ling

Apr 12, 2005
Richard, regret that this was all that was printed in the Lloyds List. May be worth emailing [email protected] to enquire about photos of the demolition. Noel, thanks for sharing your memories of the maiden voyage. Who we you serving with at the time ? Am I right in saying Union Castle Line was eventually consumed by Safmarine, who in turn are now a division of Maersk Group (AP Moller) ?

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
The Windsor Castle should have been preserved as a hotel and museum ship rather than scrapped and Alex Naughton led efforts to do so in Liverpool. There were financial problems along with poor planning that doomed the proposal. The ship was the pride of the Union Castle Line and was largely original inside and out.

BD Portwig

Mar 25, 2019
south africa
arch - i would like to see reports regarding the financial problems and the poor planning and proposal to preserve the windsor castle - if you can supply that report i would be keen to read it - the windsor castle has a special place for me - so look forward to read what was proposed and why it failed - thank you

Nov 14, 2005
The Windsor Castle should have been preserved as a hotel and museum ship rather than scrapped and Alex Naughton led efforts to do so in Liverpool. There were financial problems along with poor planning that doomed the proposal. The ship was the pride of the Union Castle Line and was largely original inside and out.
Others have done it according to this list. They must have had a poor marketing team behind the proposal. I don't know if the list below is comprehensive or not. There could be more out there.

BD Portwig

Mar 25, 2019
south africa
thank you for the feedback - correction on one - point the windsor castle never was a cruise ship - she was a ( mail boat ) which carried the royal mail as did selected ships of union castle - the transvaal castle later went on to become a cruise ship - festivale - as did dunnottor castle - as the victoria - kenya castle and bloemfontien castle as the amerikanis - and patris - ( the qm - qe2 - doulos and rotterdam are all living testament to successful conversions and preservation ships )- as an avid reader and collector of union castle line ships - books - images and memorabilia - and models including my own forum on the line - i do not believe their was any poor marketing or proposal of any kind on the windsor to the best of my knowledge - and would welcome any feed back and written reports on her and will gladly stand corrected on the subject - despite my 55 years of researching on this fantastic line

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Ok. Thanks for the info on her and the line. Was not familar with them at all. My comment was going on what ArchGuy had said about poor planing of the proposal. I looked at the pictures you posted. The one of them breaking the ship reminded me of my ship. When I saw the pictures of her demolition it was kind of heartbreaking in one sense. But I understand they had to do it. I would have like to see her become an artificial reef but they said that over the years she had become so toxic that that was never going to happen. But her sister ship is now a floating museum in San Diego so thats a good thing.

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
arch - i would like to see reports regarding the financial problems and the poor planning and proposal to preserve the windsor castle - if you can supply that report i would be keen to read it - the windsor castle has a special place for me - so look forward to read what was proposed and why it failed - thank you
Here is a link that has some information about the proposal and the poor planning that came with it.