Wireless Messages

May 12, 2005
Dear All,

Maybe I'm just late or slack but the URL below to the Marconi archive site is a new one to me. There are many, many messages to & from Titanic's people that I've never heard of and certainly never seen. The page allows you to view images of the actual messages and print them.

Apart from finding 4 messages to and from the Duff-Gordons that I'd previously not known of, I noticed ones to & from Dorothy Gibson (one very passionate one from her lover Jules Brulatour), Edith Rosenbaum, Madame Aubart, etc., etc. And these are just the folks in my range of interest. There are many more messages. So those of you like me who haven't seen them before will be much entertained.

INDEX OF TITANIC MESSAGES

Once on the page, scroll down to the message links.

My best,

Randy

May 12, 2005
Michael,

Did you see the one from Mrs. Meyer to Saks asking for that huge bunch of clothes to be delivered in c/o Lightoller for the crewmembers who needed them. I never knew that. Bless that poor woman, in such grief over her own loss yet busy helping others. An unsung heroine!

Randy

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the link. Fascinating stuff! I had discovered the site ages ago, but had subsequently lost it!

Both Leila Meyer and Julia Cavendish requested for clothes be delivered to Charles Lightoller. Both women had been widowed by the disaster.

I was interested to see Maybelle Thorne's cable from the Carpathia. The message was addresses to a "Mrs. T. Costigan". If her descendants could ever be tracked down, we might come closer to finding out more about this ever-elusive lady.

The undelivered messages are especially poignant - many of which contained sentiments of relief and congratulations on survival from relatives of Titanic passengers who had, in fact, perished.

I will certainly ear-mark the site as a place for further interest and reference.

Ben

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
G'Day Randy, I regret that I haven't had time to read it over as yet. As large as the site is, I may have to put it off until this weekend. Just going through the list alone, I had the impression that there were hundreds of messages documented there.

Mrs. Meyer sounds like a generous lady.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Randy:
Thanks for this. A lot of these are in Booth's "Titanic, Signals of Disaster", but this has a lot more raw data. Especially liked Cottam's diary up to the time of the Titanic. There's also a good one in there from Molly Brown to her daughter, Helen, in Paris.

May 12, 2005
All,

I am hopeful that the Marconi archive will let me use one or two of these. I'm going to be in touch soon to see what their policy is on reproductions for publication.

Thanks for the feedback. I have never seen the Booth book.

Can some of our researchers here help determine the identities of some of the second parties and what their relationships were to the various Titanic passengers?

I can identify most of the names of senders of messages to the Duff-Gordons, though I don't have complete names for all of them:

CELIA was Celia Rena, manager of the London branch of Lucile, Ltd.

ESTER (sic) was Esther, one of Lucy Duff-Gordon's "vendeuses" or saleswomen

ELSIE was Elsie Lings, Lucy's "premier" or chief of sales.

EDITH was Lucy's head fitter.

RENNETT was her "commissionaire" or doorman.

FLORENCE was one of her "mannequins" or models.

I have no leads on whom AMY, YVONNE, FOWLER, or NAPIER may have been but am sure they were Lucile, Ltd employees.

ELEANOR (sic) is of course Lucy's sister Elinor Glyn.

COLBY was Bainbridge Colby, Lucy's US attorney (later Secretary of State under Wilson).

DUGGAN was Thomas Duggan, manager of the New York branch of Lucile, Ltd.

LUCILATION was Lucy's cable name in c/o of Lucile, Ltd. She also used the name "Glyn-Lucilation," a joint account of her's and her sister's.

Randy

perle

Dec 17, 2017
Hello,

My question may seems stupid but I was wondering if the exchanges messages receive to the Titanic and send from it where recorded somewhere?
We know the Titanic received ice warning and responded to some. Did the recall of the exchange after the disaster is based only on words (from the American and British testimonies) or were they based on writing documents as some sort of copies?
If such written documents exists, where are they? In Marconi archives? Museums? etc?
Thanks for your help :)

Last edited: