Wireless Operator

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
96624.jpg

Hi Bob - there is a slim possibility that this may be Barrett at Plymouth, I can put it no higher than that, in light of his CR10 image.

The relevant picture is in Titanic Voices.

Meanwhile the CR10 would appear to totally copperfasten your conclusion about Poingdestre, which I now completely share.

Brian Ticehurst: Thanks a million for posting that most interesting article. I did not know any of that pre-Titanic material. The wiles of women, eh?

It is great to see all the contributions that have gone up here from serious researchers, particularly Inger's find on Durrant.

I am afraid I do not know what became of Barrett after 1919, Brian. He is obviously a key witness for all kinds of reasons.

Now that my interest is piqued, I might have a scout around.

Jo Durant

Apr 15, 2005
Senan, sorry for the ignorance, can I ask how long you've been studying the Titanic? I'm relatively new to this board (and any form of communication with other buffs except Brian Ticehurst,) and it's good to be among such knowledgeable people.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Senan, there's certainly a resemblance, but check out the pic at the top of page 219 of Titanic Voices. Several of the guys on the right of the other picture are in that one too, and I think the man you've indicated is at the front, left of centre, looking less of a hard case when he's smiling. And that lot, I think, are all victualling crew.

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
Hi Jo - it is like asking "have you lived here all your life?" and the answer is always "not yet."
I only got back into the Titanic after learning they were making the Cameron movie, when I re-ordered a book I had read as a teenage and remembered as being rather good.
When I saw all these un-Irish names at the back, among passengers supposed to have boarded at Queenstown, I decided to look into it. Turned out a huge proportion of the names were indeed mistakes.
So I am not as long around as many people, and only looking around the place since 1997. Just looking around turns up a lot of interesting sidelines. The pleasure is often to be found in the diversions.
By the way, I saw you briefly posted on our South Pole jaunt. Was that another mistake or did you subsequently realise that you were taking your life in your hands?
Bob - I had a look and agree they are probably the same guy, ie a steward.
It is funny how a lot of very important people slipped through the photographic net. One thinks of people like Frederick Scott and Alfred Crawford...

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Senan, I've been thinking the same thing. But I guess the lensmen lurking outside the Drill Hall got all of them. The selections were then made of course by editors who had no way of knowing on a daily basis which of those flat caps going in and out would turn out to be the most significant. Now, if only somewhere in a vault in Fleet Street or Canary Wharf there is a cobweb-covered box of negs ...