Wireless questions help needed

M

Minna Tiihonen

Hey all!

I would really appreciate it if anyone had ANY knowledge concerning these questions:

1. Did Jack Phillips and Harold Bride know each other before boarding the Titanic at Belfast? I have read that they didn't and then again that they had been friends since 1911, when Carpathia operator Harold Cottam introduced them to each other...? In his testimony Bride said he did not know Jack but...?

2. Bride said he kept the log book (proces-verbal) up until they left the ship, yet he didn't have a copy of it when reaching the Carpathia. What happened to the PV, did he forget to take the copy with him?

3. Jack Phillips was there in Ireland, Clifden wireless station in 1910 when Guglielmo Marconi was there doing tests with the new apparatus (creating lasting communication with Nova Scotia) Could this have been why Marconi chosed Jack to be the Titanic's operator?

4. What kind of a family Jack Phillips had? I know nothing of him, I just simply CAN'T seem to find any information!

5. Did Mr. Marconi really travel to US when he leared of the disaster in order to meet his surviving Junior when the Carparhia docked?

If anyone comes up with something not-so-often-heard information of the two operators then please don't hesitate to reply this message! I need every piece of knowledge I can get.

Waiting...
Minna

A

Allison Lane

Lemme see what help I can be...

1. I'm just as confused as you.

2. I think, in the rush, that Bride pretty much did forget to take the log book with him. I could be wrong; I'm all drugged up and suffering from the flu at the moment. :)

3. Who knows? Maybe Phillips made an impression on Marconi. I'm interested in this myself.

4. Go to: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Theater/7937/jphillips.html (These people should be commended; I'm awfully jealous of them *g*)

5. Marconi was already in America, and had planned to take the Titanic back to England, if I remember rightly. (Whoops...)

Hope this helps!

-Allison L.

Apr 22, 2012
Minna,

1. I have never heard of them meeting.
2. Allison got it right.
3. I have read that knowing Marconi did help Phillips a little (perhaps he did some fine sucking up!).
4. I know he had two sisters.
5. Allison got it right.

M

Minna Tiihonen

Hey all and thank you for the help this far, I'm so grateful
happy.gif

About my question number 3, Allison, I've now learned that it indeed was Mr Marconi himself who wanted Jack to board the Titanic. They must have met in Clifden and Jack had experience, impressing Marconi with his talent (39 words per minute with the key). I just accidentally noticed that they were at the station at the same time. Then I learned that some had believed Jack wanted Harold Bride to be his junior but it's more likely that he had nothing to do with the situation and it was just a lucky chance. This would mean that they HAD met before, since they were happy to notive they would board the same ship.

Thank you for the addresses!

Minna

M

Minna Tiihonen

Hey,

I forgot this, another question... any knowledge of Harold Bride's 3 children, their possible families or his other relatives?

Minna

M

Minna Tiihonen

Brandon,

I couldn't get the link you sent to work. Are you sure it's correct?

Minna

Apr 22, 2012
I suppose you now know that Harold Cottam introduced Jack Phillips and Harold Bride in 1911 onboard the Adriatic. Bride was a very shy young man, but after working with his new partner for a while he got adjusted, and soon Phillips was pretty the only person other than the Bride family who really "knew" Harold. Bride sounds just like me; few "know" me!

-Brandon

M

Minna Tiihonen

Hey Brandon!

Yes, now I know how they met. I've heard before that Bride was always shy and he only had some good friends who really knew him. So you're like him? I think I would sound more like Jack Phillips then - always talking and joking and my life is mostly like an open book. AND I can be restless and even a cad sometimes....

Do you know the photo taken on board the Adriatic, two wireless operators standing and smoking on the deck? Phillips is on the left, but who is the other one? Is it Bride? Often I've heard it's him but what was he doing there (he never served on that ship, I mean)

Minna

Apr 22, 2012
Hey Mina!

In the caption beneath that particular photograph of Phillips and the other R/O smoking on the Adriatic, it says that the operator on the right is not Harold Bride. My guess is that it is the R/O named Brent, who is seen in the photo on the left.

Hope this helps!

God bless!

-Brandon

Apr 22, 2012
On a closer examination, it would appear that Brent is operating in the Olympic's Marconi Room, instead of the Adriatic's, as I origionally thought. Oh well, at least I was able to tell you that it wasn't Harold Bride in that photo. Perhaps the other operator is Harold Cottam. Do you think it could be? I think it's probable.

Apr 22, 2012
BTW,

Since you seem to be very interested in the Marconi Wireless of the Titanic and other ships, I'm sure you know about Jack Phillips telling the Californian's operator, Cyril Evans, to shut up when he was trying to warn him of ice; a mere 10 minutes before the collision. But did you know that this very scene was actaully filmed for James Cameron's "Titanic"? I didn't until a few days ago, and found it hard to believe that they would delete this really cool scene.

Here's the link to a website (hopefully I typed it right this time!) that shows pics of the deleted scene. It was created by the man who was cast as Evans. Really interesting!

http://www.trt.co.uk/movie.html

Figured you might like to see it!

-Brandon

M

Minna Tiihonen

Hey Brandon

It could be Cottam in the photo BUT: Cottam was born in 1891, so he was an year younger than Bride - the man in the pic looks older than 20-year-old (the pic must be taken in 1911 when Jack Phillips was Adriatic's operator). Second, I have never heard (it does not say anywhere) that Cottam would have served on board the Adriatic. But who knows, maybe he was just visiting Jack, after all, they were close friends...

Yes I've known the scene was originally in the movie and it makes me angry to know it was cut off. Why??? The wireless opetarors have a lousy small part in the film anyway... I have seen much better ones...
happy.gif

Thank you for the link - you can send me anything having something to with the wireless...

Did you know Mr Marconi was supposed to sail back to England from US with the Titanic? A letter he wrote to his wife tells this. That would have been interesting
happy.gif

God bless you too
Minna

Apr 22, 2012
Hey Minna,

Yes, I have heard about Marconi going to take the Titanic back to England. It's too bad he wasn't already on board, he could have saw his invention being put to good use!

I'll keep an eye out for any other sites concerning the Marconi key.

-Brandon

M

Minna Tiihonen

Okay Brandon and thank you
happy.gif
Do you think Mr Marconi would have survived the disaster if he had been on board? However, it's a fact that his invention saved those 705 lives.

Minna

Apr 22, 2012
I see Mr. Marconi standing behind Bride and Phillips until nearly the last minute, then making a run for it and perhaps making it onto one of the two collapsibles left on board when the Boat Deck was swamped.