Wireless questions help needed

M

Minna Tiihonen

I can see that too. Mr Marconi would have never left the ship before his two operators.

I read this today. "Bride didn't even know the ship had docked in New York till Mr. Marconi himself entered the wireless shack and said "There's no point to that now, son." He looked up and said, "Sir, Phillips is gone."
I think it's quite touching. Bride must have felt awful.

Minna

Apr 22, 2012
That is mentioned in Europress's Titanic: An Interactive Journey, in which Bride gives a flashback view of the sinking from the two operators' point-of-view. Really a good game.

Brandon

M

Minna Tiihonen

Can you tell me more about that? I have never heard of a Titanic game before!

Minna

Apr 22, 2012
Titanic: An Interactive Journey is basically a reference of the disaster, it contains new video footage of the Titanic wreckage, 200 color photographs, 600 period pictures, testimonials from surviving passengers, and many facts and figures.

You can explore the entire story of the ship, starting with the fateful night Bruce Ismay dined with Lord Pirrie. You are able to conduct an inquiry into the disaster by interviewing the surviving passengers and crew. You can also steer a submersible along a computer-animated wreck, and when you come to certain spots, the animation becomes real footage.

I would also recommend Titanic: Adventure Out of Time, in which you play a British secret agent on the ship, and you must recover certain items (including the Rubiayat), before the ship sinks. This game has GREAT graphics; you feel like you're on the ship!

Then, there's James Cameron's Titanic Explorer. I don't own this one (yet!), but I think you can explore all the sets in close detail, as well as many, many more interesting things about Titanic.

I higly recommend the first two, which I own, and I hear great things about the last.

Take care!

-Brandon

M

Minna Tiihonen

Hello all! I have come up with some wireless-related questions again... any help would be appreciated!

The Titanic, after being tested in Belfast Lough, travelled to Southampton and docked there on 2nd April, right? The two wireless operators were on board but they left the ship after it had docked and returned on 9th April around 23.30 pm. I also know that Phillips briefly visited the ship on 6th April, he checked the spare parts supply. To my knowledge neither Phillips nor Bride lived at Southampton - where did they spend these 8 days, from 2nd to 9th? If Phillips visited the ship on 6th then I don't think he went to his home at Godalming... or??????

And then, can someone tell me exactly what was marked in the proces-verbal? How did it work?

Minna

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The PV was simply a book in which details of messages sent and received were recorded. The outgoing messages were written on little paper forms, generally by the officers or the purser's clerks. Incoming messages were written on forms by the radio operators as they were received.

Sometimes the forms were typed but many were handwritten. Examples can be seen in several well-known books, including Father Browne's album.

The PV provided a more permanent record. Records were also kept of the cost of calls and the operators had to make sure that the amount charged agreed with the number of words sent.

Neither the PV nor the forms were accurate. the operators used to receive and sent a good deal of chatter that was never recorded. At the US inquiry Senator Smith, who was used to the work of railway telegraphers, was appalled at the slack work practices of the ships' operators.

J

Jemma Hyder

All the information about Jack and the two harolds being friends before the disaster is false I'm afraid. Jack wasa well established operator and the other two may well have heard from him. Harold Cottam was nowhere near the Adriatic in 1911 he was on an australian route. Unfortunately there is a lot of mis information about the wireless operators available on the internet

J

Jemma Hyder

As for Jack's family he had two older sisters Elsie and Ethel who were twins 13 years older than Jack. Ethel was partially disabled and Ethel was a governess and then a headmistress at a local school, teaching music. Jacks parents Ann and George ran a drapers in the town, called Gammons.

L

Laura Jones

I have just found this site...and have been searching my whole life for answers about my grandfather Harold Frederick George Bryde, who was born in Essex 1890, and had told us that he had at the tender age of 13yrs run away to sea, and later worked as the assistant radio operator on the Titanic. This has always been my belief until I've read, since all this Titanic revival, about another Harold Sydney Bride. My grandfather's photo taken at that time when he was 22yrs old closely resembles his children and grandchilden. I do have his signature in an autograph book of mine and I would love to see any signature of the Harold Bryde or Bride who signed on to the Titanic for that fateful voyage. I would be grateful if anybody could shine some light on who the real HAROLD BRYDE (BRIDE) is. My grandfather married my grandmother in Henty, NSW Australia in 1919, but how he got here remains a mystery. He died here in Australia in 1964. He had 7 children here, 3 sons and 4 daughters who still survive him.

M

Minna Tiihonen

Hey Jemma! It's been a while since your posting but I only now realised that the conversation I started ages ago has still been going on!!

Now a BIG thank for that info of Jack's sisters. May I ask how do you know what you know - I just mean that for me it's been hard finding anything considering his life outside the Titanic.

Then, I might be asking impossible things, but does any of you know what happened to Kathleen Rex, the woman Jack was engaged to (??) at the time of the Titanic's sinking? As far as I know, the Rex family were family friends and the coming marriage arranged by parents.

Minna