Wireless Sound Question

May 3, 2005
Last edited:

AlexP

May 23, 2019
Usa
I wonder if any of radio operators complained about any problems with the signals on the night of the disaster? I know that Titanic had some difficulties in hearing the communications from Carpathia, but it was apparently due to the noise from the escaping steam. Was there anything else?

AlexP

May 23, 2019
Usa
which was why Carpathia never heard Titanic's CQD until 10:35 NYT when she switched back onto the 600 meter wavelength.
Sam, but was not Carpathia waiting for the response from Parisian at the very same time the Titanic started transmitting SOS?

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
According to Cottam, he tried calling Parisian and received no response. He then went back onto the Cape Cod wavelength and took down 4 messages for Titanic that were being broadcasted. Then went back onto the standard shipping frequency and called Titanic to inform them about the messages he just picked up from Cape Cod. That is when they told him to come at once.

Reactions: 1 users

AlexP

May 23, 2019
Usa
It still does not add up. I believe the first communication between Titanic and Carpathia after the collision was at 12:30. Mr. Cottam was listening to Cape Cod for 7-8 minutes, but before that he was on the right wavelength, and he heard nothing.

May 3, 2005
I wonder if any of radio operators complained about any problems with the signals on the night of the disaster? I know that Titanic had some difficulties in hearing the communications from Carpathia, but it was apparently due to the noise from the escaping steam. Was there anything else?
Have to check this out.....Someone probably knows the answer.
I believe it was either Phillips or Bride who complained about signals being "jammed" because there were so many other stations transmitting at the same time.
There were also some comments that Evans on the Californian had been one of the guilty operators of jamming on several occasions.
This was also a problem besides the noise from the escaping steam.

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Robert, there were several operators who complained of strong atmospherics (X's) that night. Baltic complained about being jammed by Birma and Californian while she was trying to communicate with Carpathia in the morning. Bride mentioned being jammed by Frankfurt I believe.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Interference from ionospheric disturbances, lightening discharges, or just about anything that creates unwanted energy in the electromagnetic spectrum. It's the type of random crackling sounds you hear in an AM radio that is tuned off channel.

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Off topic, but I found this quote on one of the reference pages:

David Sarnoff, 1964: "The computer will become the hub of a vast network of remote data stations and information banks feeding into the machine at a transmission rate of a billion or more bits of information a second. Laser channels will vastly increase both data capacity and the speeds with which it will be transmitted. Eventually, a global communications network handling voice, data and facsimile will instantly link man to machine--or machine to machine--by land, air, underwater, and space circuits. [The computer] will affect man's ways of thinking, his means of education, his relationship to his physical and social environment, and it will alter his ways of living... [Before the end of this century, these forces] will coalesce into what unquestionably will become the greatest adventure of the human mind."--from David Sarnoff by Eugene Lyons, 1966.