Women in all three clases

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Yes, we all want to see that picture. I tried turning my screen on its side in the hope that the coin would fall off, but it didn't work! :)

Kevin Perez

Jul 10, 2005
Really? That's a smart method since what I did was just try to remove the penny from the head in Paintshop Pro, and when I did, I saw nothing but a blank space....

sad.gif

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Maybe we should try turning our screens around. A view of the back of her head would be better than nothing. ;-)

Kevin Perez

Jul 10, 2005
Nope, sorry, still nothing. How about we put money together and bribe the person who has the picture just to send to us through email. So far I have $2.75/

;)

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I'd like to contribute, but I don't have any US coinage. Wait a minute, there's a coin here lying on this picture. I'll just pick it up and ... WOW! So that's what she looks like!

Apr 25, 2001
Just 'for the record' - One interview Mrs Brown gave hints at her presence in boat 4 rather than collapsible D (re why Miss Evans didn't board the boat in question).

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Peter,
I'm not familiar with the interview, but I know it has been theorized that this was the case. But, in his account, Gracie recalled helping to load boat 4, and his impression was definitely that it was launched before he encountered Mrs. Brown and Miss Evans.
I trust him on this one.
Anyway, I know you were just putting that on the table for the sake of it, since it is one argument people have raised.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
As part of my research into Second Class Titanic victim Martta Hiltunen, I wondered about the pattern in which adult women from Second Class survived or died. I believe out of 93 such passengers on board the Titanic, 80 survived and 13 died, Martta Hiltunen among the latter.

Can someone tell me the rough pattern of the 80 survivors? I mean, which lifeboats did the get away on etc. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that most of those 80 got onto various starboard lifeboats, like Kate Buss in #9.

Anna Hamalainen and Martta Hiltunen, both Finns, were two of the very few non-British Europeans in Second Class. They reached the vicinity of Lifeboat #4 on the port side with Anna's baby son Wiljo but only those two got on board. Martta not only did not join them, but mysteriously did not enter Collapsible D either, which was fitted onto to the same davits minutes after #4 hit the sea and was eventually lowered with some 22 people, less than half its capacity. What's more, I think only 9 or 10 of those on board were women. If Martta had been anywhere nearby when Collapsible D was lowered, surely shoe would have been ushered into the lifeboat.