Worst scene from a Titanic film ever

• Thread starter Hugo Rupert Talbot-Carey
  • Start date
Kathy Bates didn't handle the "You shine up like a new penny" line very well. I guess she did the best with what she had (a talent she's put to good use by doing nude scenes left and right of late). But, the line and her delivery were 100% clunkers.

I think that it was silly for Cameron not to have Jack Thayer figure into the plot. Jack could have borrowed a tux from him (maybe...this isn't a fully thought-out statement, just a one-off on an internet message board) and befriended Thayer to get closer to Rose.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Kathy Bates didn't handle the "You shine up like a new penny" line very well.

I think that line is beyond the scope of even the greatest actor. But I can forgive it, in light of "Oh steward, cancel my appointment with _____. tell him I've gone boating." a Margaret Brown ANTR moment that invariably makes me wince.

>and befriended Thayer to get closer to Rose.

Which, in turn, could lead to a fun subplot betweenh Jack and a pathologically jealous Milton Chickenhawk Long.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
This whole problem with the tux could so easily have been avoided by having Jack invite his new friends to dinner in 3rd Class. They'd have no problem securing the loan of suitably downmarket togs in various sizes by tossing a few shekels to the Sages or the Goodwins. "Cal! I didn't recognize you. Amazing! You could almost pass for a costermonger." "Almost." "Tell us about these meat pies, Mr Dawson. I hear they’re quite good on this ship." "The best I’ve seen, ma’am. Hardly any rat."

Mar 3, 2010
That is a really good idea, the whole Thayer thing, it would make sence for Rose and Thayer to be friends, same age, and from the same place. I like that, less Molly Brown, I love her, but she is used so much in EVERY MOVIE about the Titanic.

Mar 3, 2010
Do you like this better?

ISMAY (V.O.)
She is the largest moving object ever made by the hand of man in all history...

CUT TO:

59 INT. CAFÉ PERSIAN - DAY

CLOSE ON J. BRUCE ISMAY, Managing Director of White Star Line.

ISMAY
...and our master shipbuilder, Mr. Andrews here, designed her from the keel plates up.

He indicates a handsome 39 year old Irish gentlemen to his right, THOMAS ANDREWS, of Harland and Wolf Shipbuilders.

WIDER, showing the group assembled for lunch the next day. Ismay seated with Cal, Rose, Ruth, Thomas Andrews, and Jack Thayer. The Café Persian, a beautiful sunny spot in resemblance to a side-walk café in Paris.

ANDREWS
(disliking the attention)
Well, I may have knocked her together, but the idea was Mr. Ismay's. He envisioned a steamer so grand in scale, and so luxurious in its appointments, that its supremacy would never be challenged. And here she is...
(he slaps the table)
...willed into solid reality.

The waiter arrives to take orders. Rose lights a cigarette.

RUTH
You know I don't like that, Rose.

CAL
She knows.

Cal takes the cigarette from her and stubs it out.

CAL
(to the waiter)
We'll both have the lamb. Rare, with a little mint sauce.
(to Rose, after the waiter moves away)
You like lamb, don't you sweetpea?

Jack Thayer is watching the dynamic between Rose, Cal and Ruth. He turns to Mr. Ismay.

JACK THAYER
Who came up with the name Titanic? Was it you Mr. Ismay?

ISMAY
Yes, actually. I wanted to convey sheer size. And size means stability, luxury... and safety--

ROSE
Do you know of Dr. Freud? His ideas about the male preoccupation with size might be of particular interest to you, Mr. Ismay.

Andrews chokes on his breadstick, suppressing laughter. Thayer smiles.

RUTH
My God, Rose, what's gotten into--

ROSE
Excuse me.

She stalks away.

RUTH
(mortified)
I do apologize.

JACK THAYER
She is certainly a woman of the new generation, Cal.

Thayer smirks.

Cal gives Jack Thayer a slight smirk back, holding back what he would like to say.

Will C. White

Apr 18, 2007
Jeremy-I don't think the "penny" line is all that bad compared with a lot that I've seen, even within the framework of this specific film. Kate and Leo split the win for that any number of times. Note the Oscar actor take-no wins, even Gloria S. who really deserved it. This is the old truism that weak leads pull the whole "show" down. Rocky-Like the Thayer idea. As to Molly Brown, she is always played up because she's one of those larger-than-life types, at least within the myth and framework of the loss of RMS Titanic. WILL

Mar 3, 2010
I know. But still it could be a bit smaller.

Well here is the part that was being talked about. The tux thing.

Rose turns to him, her face alight. Suddenly she blanches. He sees her expression and turns.

RUTH, Mrs. Thayer, and Molly Brown have been watching them hawking lugees. Mr. Thayer and Jack Thayer stand next to the women. Rose becomes instantly composed.

ROSE
Mother, may I introduce Jack Dawson.

RUTH
Charmed, I'm sure.

Jack has a little spit running down his chin. He doesn't know it. Molly Brown and Jack Thayer are grinning. As Rose proceeds with the introductions, we hear...

OLD ROSE (V.O.)
The others were gracious and curious about the man who'd saved my life. But my mother looked at him like an insect. A dangerous insect which must be squashed quickly.

MOLLY
Well, Jack, it sounds like you're a good man to have around in a sticky spot--

They all jump as a BUGLER sounds the meal call right behind them.

MOLLY
Why do they insist on always announcing dinner like a damn cavalry charge?

ROSE
Shall we go dress, mother?
(over her shoulder)
See you at dinner, Jack.

RUTH
(as they walk away)
Rose, look at you... out in the sun with no hat. Honestly!

Mr. and Mrs. Thayer EXIT with Rose, Ruth, Molly.

THAYER
Jack Thayer. Do you have any comprehension of what you are about to do?

He smiles and holds out his hand. Jack Dawson takes it.

JACK
Not really.

THAYER
Well, you're about to enter a lion pit. I hope you're prepared. What are you planning to wear?

Jack looks down at his clothes. Back up at Thayer. He hadn't thought about that.

THAYER
I figured.

CUT TO:

77 INT. JACK THAYERS STATEROOM

The door to Thayer’s stateroom opens, and Thayer and Dawson enter. THAYER is talking and continues to do so as he walks into the closet at the other end of the room.

THAYER
Rose and I have been friends with each other since we were born. Me and her fiancé don’t exactly like each other. I know Rose well, and I don’t think she’s all that fond of him either, to be honest.

Thayer walks out of the closet with a tuxedo in hand. He walks up to Jack and smiles.

THAYER
Try this on for size.

CUT TO:

78 EXT. BOAT DECK / FIRST CLAsS ENTRANCE - DUSK

A purple sky, shot with orange, in the west. Drifting strains of classic music. We TRACK WITH JACK along the deck. By Edwardian standards he looks badass. Dashing in his borrowed white-tie outfit, right down to his pearl studs.

A steward bows and smartly opens the door to the First Class Entrance.

STEWARD
Good evening, sir.

Jack plays the role smoothly. Nods with just the right degree of disdain.

CUT TO:

79 INT. UPPER LANDING / GRAND STAIRCASE AND A-DECK

Jack steps in and his breath is taken away by the splendor spread out before him. Overhead is the enormous glass dome, with a crystal chandelier at its center. Sweeping down six stories is the First Class Grand Staircase, the epitome of the opulent naval architecture of the time.

And the people: the women in their floor length dresses, elaborate hairstyles and abundant jewelry... the gentlemen in evening dress, standing with one hand at the small of the back, talking quietly.

Jack descends to A deck. Several men nod a perfunctory greeting. He nods back, keeping it simple. He feels like a spy.

Cal comes down the stairs, with Ruth on his arm, covered in jewelry. They both walk right past Jack, neither one gecognizeing him. Cal nods at him, one gent to another. But Jack barely has time to be amused. Because just behind Cal and Ruth on the stairs is Rose, a vision in red and black, her low-cut dress showing off her neck and shoulders, her arms seathed in white gloves that come well above above the elbow. Jack is hypnotized by her beauty.

CLOSE ON ROSE as she approaches Jack. He imitates the gentlemen's stance, hand behind his back. She extends her gloved hand and he takes it, kissing the back of her fingers. Rose flushes, beaming noticeably. She can't take her eyes off him.

JACK
I saw that in a nickelodean once, and I always wanted to do it.

ROSE
Cal, surely you remember Mr. Dawson.

CAL
(caught off guard)
Dawson! I didn't recognize you.
(studies him)
Amazing! You could almost pass for a gentlemen.

CUT TO:

80 INT. D-DECK RECEPTION ROOM

CUT TO THE RECEPTION ROOM ON D DECK, as the party descends to dinner. They encounter Jack Thayer, looking handsome in a tuxedo that is nearly identical to Jack’s. After all, it is his.

Thayer grins when he sees Jack. His parents are making small talk behind him. As they are going into the dining saloon he walks next to him, speaking low:

THAYER
There isn’t anything too it, is there Jack?

JACK
Yeah, you just dress like a pallbearer and keep your nose up.

THAYER
Remember, the only thing most of my crowd respects is money, so just act like you own a few yachts and mansions and my father will probably ask you to join his country club.

As they enter the swirling throng, Thayer walks away, and Rose leans close to him, pointing out several notables.

May 3, 2005
In reference to that "spitting scene":

On another thread was a quote from Cameron's commentary in which he said something to the effect "....Nobody liked it, but I did."

There is another movie in which a house in an obviously slum area is shown. An elderly lady living in the house then goes to a scene in "her church" which is obviously one located in one of the the most obviously affluent areas in the U.S. Pehaps this was meant for contrast. In an e-mail to the director, I asked the director about this and he replied, "I liked the house and I liked the church."

So perhaps the final choice of a bad scene depends on what the director of the movie likes...regardless. ;-)

May 3, 2005
Jeremy-
>>I think that the Navaho Rag scene in Titanic 53 is pretty intolerable. I ALWAYS hit the "next chapter" button. Wagner's moose call singing and singing the entire song like it's the start of a tacky production number. It goes through my head like a NAIL.<<

Which would you say was the worst, the "Navajo Rag" scene or the scene in which Captain Smith is in the Lounge listening to "Far Above Cayuga's Waters"...only to be interrupted by the sound of the collision.....?

Well...at least...IMHO...I'd rate Giff and Annette a bit above Jack and Rose...LOL

It's neck and neck. Navajo Rag is definitely worse. At least with Far Above Cayuga's Waters we get well-rehearsed teenagers singing. Navajo Rag is a silly "impromtu" song sung by someone who should NEVER sing...ever.

Giff/Annette are also neck and neck with Jack/Rose. What was Giff attracted to?! It certainly wasn't Annette's personality. She was arrogant and snobbish. And it certainly wasn't her meaty bod. At least Jack/Rose had a chemistry...chemistry with bad dialogue, but a chemistry.

May 27, 2007
I guess the Giff saw qualities in Annette that nobody else did! Bottom perhaps? Giff is pretty flighty seems like to me while Annette has a certainty about her. She'll settle him down a bit!

Jack also saw something in Rose. What I do not know! Sexual attraction perhaps? Frankly I thought Jack and Rose were just a take off on Giff and Annette really with more unlikely social circumstance of Jack being of a different class! But that's just me.

Well, Jack saw Rose and pursued her because of physical attraction (just like most people do). He got to know her and they fell in love...through some awful dialog and really great costumes.

Giff sees Annette in a hat that looks like it's eating her, conned her into dancing with him during which she insults him, sang her a horrid song and dragged her along to a sing-along where she turned into an awkward wallflower. Then she made out with him in front of the Captain and that's about it.

May 3, 2005
Well....again... prefacing this post with an "It's only a movie !" and a big LOL at that to follow.

We could speculate that Gifford (he lived; Jack didn't) went on to graduate magna cum laude from Purdue (even if he wasn't much at tennis) , became a rich and successful engineer and could afford to support Annette in the manner to which she had become accustomed and they married and lived happily ever after.

Or how Ben Calvert and Rose ever got together in
the first place.....

>>Frankly I thought Jack and Rose were just a take off on Giff and Annette<<

Frankly I thought there were a lot more take offs than just Giff and Annette....How about "Why do the British have to sound dinner..." ?

May 27, 2007
Strange kinda love there but as I said Giff must of saw something in Annette or perhaps he was using her to get to her mother Julia(Barbara Stanwyck)! Now that I could see! Julia probably knows how to have a good time which she wasn't getting from Mr Priss her husband I mean, she'd cheated on Richard once already! I bet you once she learned to live with out Norman, she and Giff went stepping out!

May 3, 2005
Or we could give the poor girl, by way of some literary license in that she came to her senses and realized what a good take Giff would be and mended her ways.

On the other hand, Julia ran off with and married the brother of Aristotle Onassis and inherited his fortune when he died. (All in the line of fictitious characters, of course...It's only a movie so it doesn't have to have any manner of truth and fact...

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Well, Stanwyck was hot in Titanic.

Hotter in Baby Face, aka The Last Straw Before The Code. Tim and I were laughing last night about using Baby Face as Julia's back story. (Father runs beer joint in steel town. Father pimps his daughter out to millworkers. Father is killed in a still explosion, and daughter heads to NYC where she sleeps her way to the top) and it fits pretty well.

>Giff/Annette are also neck and neck with Jack/Rose. What was Giff attracted to?! It certainly wasn't Annette's personality.

He was attracted to Annette because the script demanded that he be. Same with Jack's attraction to Rose. The script insisted that he be, and so he was. There need be no logic, or connection to how people react in the real world (I've never found myself aroused by anyone I've met for the first time in mid-suicide attempt: truth be told, that set-up would have the erectile effect of imagining Charlotte Rae and Bonnie Franklin giving Tom Bosley an oil massage. Would ANYONE react differently? I doubt it) because the script decrees that they meet and fall in love.

May 27, 2007
Norman was her son and he went down with the ship! Giff was played by Wagnor!! Although I know what your saying I think Julia up and called it quits after her and Giff went their separate ways and she moved out west and ended up bankrolling an early independent Movie Studio and teaching a young Ruby Stevens everything she knows!

An embittered Annette became a Militant Suffragist and had a bunch of adventures then when America entered the War she became an ambulance driver and met up with Giff but this time around she'd learned how to loosen up and so they ended up living together. Annette didn't believe in marriage for Women after her time as Militant Suffragist! Giff learned to accept that and her job as a policewoman! He ran for mayor of a town in where ever he came from during the depression with the line of sweeping out corruption! They ended up opening up a snotty tennis club in their old age and a scholarship fund in Norman's memory!