Worst Titanic Documentary of All Time

JMGraber

Apr 22, 2012
I pick Return to the Titanic featuring none other than King Cheesy himself: Telly Savalas! I watched the documentary on YouTube and to me it is flat out hilarious. I think Savalas nearly tripped on a chair at one point and then there was the mummy curse! Otherwise, I think the Walter Cronkite one sucked as well. It seems a bit silly to think that camera crews are running all over the ship interviewing John Jacob Astor, Captain Smith, and others. Also, it isn't Lord Ismay, at least as far as I know. Then there was one where James Cameron was in a submersible obsessed over a clock for five minutes. Does anyone else have a Titanic documentary that they just think was really bad and pointless?

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
I think a lot of them that came out during the second wave of Titanic fever, aka James Cameron's film ,were bad. These were a bunch of slap happy docos that you would get in the 7.99 bin at Borders. I have to agree Return To The Titanic was a piece of crap.Very irresponsible.My favorite part was when the "expert" tried to explain the large hole on the starboard side caused the ship to sink.Like Bob Ballard said how does a ship sink with a hole ABOVE the waterline.By the way this is hole that blew out after the bow hit the bottom.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Hello again.I couldn't edit the above post in time so I will start new.Return To The Titanic was bad simply because they tried to legitimize the salvaging of Titanic artifacts. In 1987 there was a lot of backlash against IFRAMIR. Eva Hart was one survivor who was very vocal about it..So the producers of this show tried to give some credibility to it by slipping in some " science " and " experts".This of course was a joke, as these people did not know much about anything.That was the shows failure.

PITAI

Jul 20, 2013
Apart from the obvious conspiracy ones that deliberately misinform the audience? I'd have to say James Cameron's 100th anniversary one. He constantly spoke over everyone else and the editing was annoying. It's also difficult to ignore how disrespectful he was when simulating the sinking, being really impressed with his accomplishments and not in the mentality he's visualizing how 1,500 people died.

Ironically, he came across as Bill Paxton's character from the movie he directed.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
What about ''Curiosity: What sank the Titanic?'' They dramatised so many of the survivors stories to pad out the runtime, you could't tell what was drama and what actually happened.

The Graphics were good nevertheless, most documentary don't show the profession of flooding or locations in great deal and it did star Bill Paxton in the American Version.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
What about ''Curiosity: What sank the Titanic?'' They dramatised so many of the survivors stories to pad out the runtime, you could't tell what was drama and what actually happened..
95% were drama and made up. If you read the stories told by survivors (as Elisabeth Dowdell) you will not find much of what they have.

Apr 26, 2017
Apart from the obvious conspiracy ones that deliberately misinform the audience? I'd have to say James Cameron's 100th anniversary one. He constantly spoke over everyone else and the editing was annoying. It's also difficult to ignore how disrespectful he was when simulating the sinking, being really impressed with his accomplishments and not in the mentality he's visualizing how 1,500 people died.

Ironically, he came across as Bill Paxton's character from the movie he directed.
What. I agree with you in the fact that he disrespected the sinking. But to me other than that. Jc Titanic 100 is one of the best docs out there

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
95% were drama and made up. If you read the stories told by survivors (as Elisabeth Dowdell) you will not find much of what they have.
Notable examples include:

Thayer and Milton shouting conversation with Fleet and Lee - False

Dowdell getting stuck in temporary flooded room - False

Aubert getting stuck and flooded / locked room - False

Barrett seeing man set on fire from Boiler (and don't get me started on the design of Boiler Room 6!) - False

Titanic starting to Shake / Tip noticeably due to movement and same time of dramatic kiss - Really False.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Lawes

Jun 13, 2012
England
The Graphics were good nevertheless, most documentary don't show the profession of flooding or locations in great deal
Except in the youtube clip you posted the graphics show the water somehow defying gravity and filling compartments way above the waterline.

;)

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Good point there Rob Lawes, then again, this scene could be during the ''slow ahead'' order where the forward movement is forcing more water in and / or water pressure haven't kicked in yet and it's temporary still rising.

Sorry if this is inaccurate, I was never good at GCSE Science...

Back To Topic!

Emilie

Aug 10, 2013
Saint-Étienne, France
Notable examples include:

Thayer and Milton shouting conversation with Fleet and Lee - False

Dowdell getting stuck in temporary flooded room - False

Aubert getting stuck and flooded / locked room - False

Barrett seeing man set on fire from Boiler (and don't get me started on the design of Boiler Room 6!) - False

Titanic starting to Shake / Tip noticeably due to movement and same time of dramatic kiss - Really False.
This whole so called documentary is full of garbage everywhere....
How could have BBC producers gone so low?

Reactions: Harland Duzen