Would a Hitchcock Titanic film have been a box office success?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
According to the Wikipedia article RMS Titanic in Popular Culture: RMS Titanic in popular culture - Wikipedia

The Hollywood producer David O. Selznick tried to persuade Alfred Hitchcock to make a Titanic film for him in 1938, based on a novel of the same name by Wilson Mizner and Carl Harbaugh. The storyline involves a gangster who renounces his life of crime when he falls in love with a woman aboard Titanic. Selznick envisaged buying the redundant liner Leviathan to use as a set. Hitchcock disliked the idea and openly mocked it; he suggested that a good way to shoot it would be to "begin with a close-up of a rivet while the credits rolled, then to pan slowly back until after two hours the whole ship would fill the screen and The End would appear." When asked about the project by a reporter he said, "Oh yes, I've had experience with icebergs. Don't forget I directed Madeleine Carroll" (who, as Hitchcock was probably aware, had starred in the Titanic-inspired Atlantic).[75] To add to the problems, Howard Hughes and a French company threatened lawsuits as they had their own Titanic scripts, and British censors let it be known that they disapproved of a film that might be seen as critical of the British shipping industry.[76] The project was eventually abandoned as the Second World War loomed and Hitchcock instead made Rebecca for Selznick in 1940, winning an Oscar for Best Picture.[75] A similar plotline of a thief renouncing his life of crime after falling in love with a steerage woman aboard the ship was later used in the 1996 television miniseries Titanic.
If Alfred Hitchcock did make the film, would it have been a box office success, like the 1953 film and A Night to Remember? I doubt it would've grossed as much as the 1997 film.