Would you time travel back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
This is a bit macabre, but if science were able to travel people back in time, would you travel back to the voyage of the Titanic? You would experience the company of all these now-famous people, you'd know for a certainty what every nuance of the interior was like, what people really did, you could stand at the forward end of the boat deck and see the berg get closer. The catch being of course that you knew what was going to happen, but not being able to tell anyone. And knowing that you were going to have to drown or freeze to death in order to return to the present day....would you do it? I'd love to go back in one way, but meeting these people for real and not being able to stop the disaster from happening would be too hard. What would you do?

Jan 7, 2002
Being an avid 'Whovian' (fan of the tv show Dr. Who), and a buff of any movie or tv show dealing with the time travel themes, I can say yes, not only would I sail Titanic, I'd go more than once.
Id travel in first class,then travel back and do it again as a 2nd class passenger, then 3rd,..then Id go back and enlist as a crew member...
Each time Id be sure to linger on the starboard side, so as to assure odds of a seat in a lifeboat.I might then go further back and get a job at Harland and Wolff and would apply to work on construction on Olympic and Titanic...
If I lost nerve and wanted to warn the crew of the impending collision, odds our they would think me mad- or my interference might actually be what caused the collision...
The less daring time travelers could simply bring along a camera and disembark in Queenstown..

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Adam Usher

Oct 26, 2004
I would definately love to travel back in time to Titanic. I would like to be 1st Officer Murdoch, who was on watch when the liner hit the berg. I would slow the ship right down as soon as my watch started. Then i think the ship would have seen the berg in time and all would be saved.

I also think that the reception from the americans when the ship would have entered New York harbour would have been truly first class.

Wesley Burton

Apr 22, 2004
Yeah I would for sure. I sometimes think about it during class. (probably has an effect on my grades...) I think it would be an interesting experience.

D

Dave Webster

I'd go back providing there was an option for me to escape back to my own time 5 minutes before the ship sank.

We'll probably never know the full truth, time travel would be the only way to really get to the bottom of it. Sorry, but I've always had the feeling that someone wasn't concentrating on their job fully at the time of the berg being hit. Whether it was the lookouts or Mr Murdoch himself, I don't know. This fellow Scot has had a mixed press, and I'd love to exonerate him if he was innocent of all charges.

It would be great to go back to confirm what really happened.

Jun 12, 2004
Dave,

Yes, but unfortunately, as now, there would still be arguments and debates over what really happened. When you got back and related your story, many people will insist that you're either wrong or uncertain for one reason or another. The only way you could prove, without a doubt, is to take pictures of Murdoch actually pulling the trigger on himself (if that's what happened). People would say it's fabricated or a trick of light or some other explanation. Still, it would be intriguing for our own benefit to see what actually happened, to have actually been a part of it.

Jun 12, 2004
If we had time. A sinking ship full of people would tend to keep us busy, if not while trying to remain discrete, then trying to survive. Our attention would no doubt be fully on that. ;)

Still, although we may miss out on many details, we would definitely gain some insight as to how it was for them. In the end, wouldn't that be just as important, or even more so, than discovering or confirming "the facts"?

Feb 24, 2004
Hopefully, going back in time wouldn't zap our memories. We'd know what occurrences we were looking for in advance.

Didn't Walter Lord say that if he could go back, he wouldn't even go to the Titanic, but to the bridge of the Californian?

Jun 12, 2004
Depends on what you're looking for. Being on the Californian would be safe, BUT your observation would be limited. What would you be able to see from a ship several miles away?

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"What would you be able to see from a ship several miles away?"

Mark, I think what Walter Lord was getting at was, what actually happened on the bridge of the Californian during the time Titanic was sinking and what was exactly said between Stone and Gibson.

Sure, we know most of it from the inquiries in one way or another, but I'll bet some blanks could still be filled in.

Jun 12, 2004
Yes, I understood that, Jason. I was referring to what was going on aboard the Titanic, which, to me, would have been vastly more interesting.

Being aboard the Californian, though, would settle that decades-long argument (Ooops! Did I say that? I doubt that would happen). I'd be very curious to know the truth behind the many contradictions revolving around the Californian's role in the Titanic tragedy. How interesting THAT would be, ;) hehe.

The thing about being there (aboard Titanic), though, Jason, is that we'd absorb the ambience, actually experience the whole thing, which, in itself, would be very insightful. Confirming facts is one thing; actually experiencing something for yourself is something else entirely.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
"I was referring to what was going on aboard the Titanic, which, to me, would have been vastly more interesting."

I realize that and I agree with you, it would been far more fascinating and we would be able to answer a lot of questions, but many would still remain, as we couldn't be everywhere. Too bad though.

"Confirming facts is one thing; actually experiencing something for yourself is something else entirely."

Quite true indeed, there's no comparison.

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
The question is; if you could go back — what crack team would you recruit to travel back with ?
If you could take 10 back — who would you select.
Experts in the ship itself, those that know the passengers & crew, photographic researchers, seaman of great experience?
All those to individually & independently record their findings.
No need to be modest — no reason to included or exclude individuals. Just your opinion.
I have 10 researchers in mind I could select quiet easily — all experts in their fields.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Would choose not to travel. Can you imagine how depressing it would be to be surrounded by people who you knew would be dead in two hours, with no way of saving them without 'altering the pattern?' For instance, do you have it in you to stand by impartially and watch the Yasbecks separated,knowing that he was going to die and that if you interacted with them in a way which allowed him to live you would, in effect, be eliminating the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren from her second marriage? Taking it a step further, if you put yourself on the bridge at,say, 11:15 PM that night you'd be in an odd moral position- if you gave alert a minute earlier and saved everyone you'd immediately transport to the future with virtually all Titanic memories eliminated, and if you did NOT sound the alert you'd be directly responsible for the deaths of 1500 people since you had all the information at hand to save them and opted not to do so.

D

Dave Webster

> [You're so right, Jim. I had thought of the moral perspective. It > wouldn't at all be an enjoyable experience.

But we're only pretending, time travel, it if ever becomes possible (Einstein thought it might), is way in the future.

Maybe one day someone will do what we can only dream about.]

Jul 11, 2001
You may even cause a change in history by mistake. Imagine a time traveller suddenly appearing on the bridge or in the crows nest right before impact. The resulting distraction could prevent Murdoch from ordering any turn causing the ship to hit the berg head on, thus not sinking.

Jun 12, 2004
Just going back there would affect the time line, no matter where you land or who sees (or doesn't see) you. That is why the idea of time travel is a risky business. Best be careful to consider even doing it in the first place.

Nancy Bratby

Apr 18, 2005
I'd time travel back, if only to try and save Thomas Andrews' life. But I'd have to give him back to his wife -bother!

Also I'd go back just to try and get answers to a couple of questions that will keep bugging me.

Did Murdoch shoot himself?
When exactly did the lookouts see the iceberg? And why did they hit it in such great visibility?
And to peek at Madeleine Astors dresses, and every detail of the public areas, rooms etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.