Wreck Location in Titanica

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
In "Titanica", one crew member, I think it was Ralph White, mentions that he was part of the 1985 Ballard expedition and managed to memorise the co-ordinates (upside down) of the wreck before the chart was ripped from the table and hidden.

Why bother? The wreck co-ordinates had been published 4 years before in "The Discovery of the Titanic"!

Cheers

Paul

Wesley Burton

Apr 22, 2004
Why would they deliberatly make them wrong? Its not like the average citizen can get a boat out there and somehow get to the wreck.
But seeing as Ballard kept Bismarck's location secret, it wouldnt surprise me....

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Why would they deliberatly make them wrong? Its not like the average citizen can get a boat out there and somehow get to the wreck.<<

Quite right...Mr. Joe Average can't. However, people with submersibles and the nesseccery support equipment can. While I can't speak to Dr. Ballard's motives, I suspect he may have been trying to make it difficult for anyone else to molest the wreck. After all, you can't dive on it if you don't know where it is.

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
So Michael, was Pellegrino right in stating that Ballard's numbers in Discovery of the Titanic were deliberately wrong?

If so, what are the proper coordinates?

Jim

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I have no idea as I haven't read that part of Pelligrino's book(s). The only thing I spoke to was why Ballard would deliberately use the wrong co-ordinates in his book assuming he even did so. Personally, I don't think he did. It's just too easy to check out by way of independant sources, meaning other parties who have dived on the wreck.