WRECK OUTTAKES from GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS

Mar 3, 1998
Before anyone gets their expectations raised too high about the E-deck stairs, let me explain that you will not actually see a stair in the picture. What you will see is a certain slope to the accumulated silt and debris that is evidence to the existance of stairs lying underneath. Given the state of the wreck, sometimes that's the best one can expect.

The still was grabbed when the ROV was underneath the D-deck foundation, which you will see as curved steel bars arching overhead, and hovering quite near the landing. The silt/debris slopes up in front of the camera, and down to the right. If the stairs were gone, the silt/debris would fall sharply away. Instead, it follows the same angle as the stairs once did. Conclusion...the stairs still exist at that level. The interior of E Deck is dark.

The picture is amazing for the evidence it provides. It very well could be that the wood stairs, maybe even the linoleum on the landing, are completely intact. However, I don't want to leave the impression that you're going to see a pristine set of stairs in the photograph.

Parks

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Thanks for the clarification there Parks, but the tantalising evidence as described is still enough to wet the old whistles! My word, Ken's eye must be sharp!

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
.... .. and Greetings All. Think Kens nickname should be "Hawkeye"? He is sharp that is for sure. I have only known him for about 30 years. We don;t get a chance to talk like we used to but when we do it is well worth the wait. Ken if your ears are burning too bad you deserve all of this praise from everyone and more.
So now to the NITTY GRITTY. Anyone heard anything about "Ghosts" Home DVD release. Supposedly they mentioned December any hints.
Also anyone know how to get hold of Father Roberto Perrone. Would like to contact him about Normandie. Well thanks all. Hey Sparks I said it before and I'll say it again you guys are doing one H---uva job. Keep going. Oh, any points of view about the news today about trying to sell the artifacts? Cheers All Jon
P.S. WHAT'S IN DE BOX ????? ... --- ...

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Parks, given the forces at work, I'm amazed that even fragments, much less anything that could be remotely described as remaining steps still remain. You said it best when you said that this area of the ship in all probability became the world's largest Cuisinart Blender. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other steps...any not ejected from the ship as she plunged...lie scattered arond the various decks under tons of silt.

Apr 4, 2007
Ken, I know from the past that you helped with the Titanic model used in Raise The Titanic. Do you know where it is, what the condition is and if any recent photo's are available. Hope you come back to this discussion. Thanks Fred Rueckert

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Frederick,
if I may...
last I knew, the Raise the Titanic model was sitting on a back lot of the Mediterranean Movie Studios. The condition of it was quite poor; the metal components rusted and many of the deck details broken off.

Someone a decade ago visited the place where the model was stored and posted pictures online:

http://www.iol.ie/~hofnanet/pages/Titanic.html

I've seen one picture of it taken more recently, and the condition shown in that picture depicted it to be even worse now.

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Fred and Dan, Excuse me for sticking my nose in but back sometime ago I was in Malta where the model is and took some photos of it then. At that time it was it not great shape and they had replaced the missing funnel and painted the ship white with a red cross insignia. Allegedly it was made for some Italian TV film about Britannic.
I will be happy to post the photo on 2 conditions 1: you don't go into hysterical laughter when you see me standing with it. and 2 If I can figure out how to upload it to this thread. so stand by one

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
O.K. had to re scale it down so it would fit on this thread so here it is (Don't Laugh) I do have over views but have to go really digging for them But I do remember one shot that showed the interior flooding tanks and valves still in place. Cheers Jon
84899.jpg

Apr 4, 2007
Thanks Jon, I remember viewing a documentary when the whole Titanic craze hit, and the model was in a lot better shape then. To bad it can't be saved like the model from the movie Titanic which I believe is still in Fall River Mass.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Oh, I'm sure it could be saved, butI don't think anyones's about to pony up the cash to make it happen. The somewhat inaccurate way that beast is painted makes me wonder just how much attention to detail was put into that "Britannic" documentary.

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Frederick, Thanks for the reply, The photo was taken back in 1991/92 while I was working on the Cruise Staff on the Vistafjord. I went to see the model as Geroge Tulloch at that time was interested in purchasing it for the planned Titanic Exhibitions. However the studio was not interested in selling it for any amount so there it sits. By The way the 50 foot hull is made of fiberglass and should last for quite some time.Yes the conversion to Hospital Ship looks pretty tacky and I don't know if I would want to see the Italian TV documentary if it ws finshed and broadcast. Anyone out there have any contacts in Italia to check that out? The 28 foot model in Fall River Museum is still there and on prominent display. Ed Kamuda THS called me some years ago saying the model then in Minnesota needed a new home and if I knew of anyone. I called John Gosson curator at Fall River and he and the directors jumped at the chance so Ed was very happy to know that they were interested and after a very short while it was on its way there. Now as pre my prior posts still TRYING to get information on Father Roberto Perrones NORMANDIE model ANYONE???? Thanks much cheers Jon

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Jon, the 'GOTA' DVD is released on Region 1 (the US) on April 27th this year! Please see my relevant thread here under 'Titanic Movies' for fuller details of the 'extras' etc etc.

Cheers,

Mike

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
> [Mike, Many many thanks for the update. Now I shall start salivaiting waitng for 27 April. By the way you should be able to get my direct e-mail address. I am a computer KLUTZ but just scanned all of my photos of the Model in Malta Would love to get them on the thread for you all but as said computer Klutz so how do I post them all or make a site (have no idea ho to do dat) where they and other Raise The Titanic Stills could seen by all. Thanks again Jon]

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
My God, I wouldn't like to eat here in case the 'Titanic' drops on my head!
grin.gif

BTW, this model has the name on her bow in too big letters and there is no yellow stripe along her side..... And, is the anchor white??!!

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
> [Hi Jeremy, I suppose if it did drop then you could call the waiter over and say, "There's A ship in my soup???"Cheers Jon]

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
In answer to those who have asked about the wooden "box" I thought I saw sitting on a shelf in Ismay's wardrobe, described in my 2001 wreck report (http://titanic.marconigraph.com/mgy_cameron1.html):

It sure looked like a closed wooden box to me, resting on the shelf, pretty as you please, when I first viewed the ROV video at sea. Upon further study after I wrote the report, one can discern that what looked to be a box with a closed lid in one segment of the video can be seen to actually extend farther to the right (forward) in another segment. What I saw appears to simply be the aft end of a thick wooden "beam" that extends forward through the steel frame defining the forward wall of the wardrobe and runs along (inside) the outboard wall of the bedroom (B-54). Some sort of wooden framing. What I had seen briefly in the video while still at sea was just a glimpse of the rectangular end of this thing, which does look for all the world like a closed box. We all thought so at the time.

Sorry to disappoint. I really must update that online report. Haven't had time....

Ken

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
I've just received (To the UK, less than a week after ordering it from the US!) my first of the 3 'Outtakes' magazines, and I am SO impressed! The quantity of images was higher than I thought it could be, and I must say, I think they are printed a little sharper than in the main GotA book, too.

If you haven't yet decided to buy this, don't dither anymore; this is an absolute MUST, to go with your book and the forthcoming DVD!

Absolutely wonderful, wonderful stuff, and once more, all hail Mr Marschall.

Ken, I know we all tend to fall on you en masse and ask questions/heap praises every time you 'dare' post, but really, you deserve it.

Sincerely, thank you.

Mike