WRECK OUTTAKES from GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Finally got a reply from Exec Dept at Disney Here Tis.
Jon - In response to your inquiry regarding Ghosts of the Abyss DVD, BVHE is not releasing the movie in 3D per the filmmaker’s specification.
From Alyson Binder Disney Via Eisner

Thank you, Alyson

Tis

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Jon
thats too bad, viewing the Reception room without 3D on dvd will lose somthing special...

I do hope there will be additional interior footage...
regards

tarn Stephanos

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
> [Nope what you saw is what your going to get (old J.C. won't budge,) on the first CD the second one will have the Bells and Whistles]

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
Nope what you saw is what your going to get on disc #1 old J.C ain't gonna budge for the public just like he wouldn't do a Directors Cut and put the Carpathia and California amd other scenes back in. But disc #2 will have all the bells and whistles and more Bill Paxton

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Jon, Jim Cameron has stated on the record several times over that the cut of 'Titanic' that he released WAS the director's cut, i.e., HIS cut of the film, so give the guy a break!

This should be n the 'Movies' section really, but as you brought it up, you may like to know that a Special Edition of 'Titanic' is being prepared right now, for a possible late 2004 release. This, presumably, will have extensive 'making of' material, and maybe the extra scenes you want included separately. (I guess you've already got them on the 'Explorer' CD Rom though)

As for GOTA, Disc 1 will contain BOTH versions of the film-the original, and a presumably more wreck-footage, 30 minutes longer version, and Disc 2 will contain your 'bells and whistles'.

Mike

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>This should be n the 'Movies' section really,...<<

Quite right. It does. At least if anyone is interested in persueing Cameron's 1997 flick any further. While topic drift is hardly fatal, let's be mindful that this thread is primarily about Ken's outtakes from Ghosts of the Abyss and try to stay focused on that. Thank you all for your co-operation.

Jon Hollis

Jan 23, 2004
> [Thanks Mike for you input, Can you tell me more about this Explorer CD you mentioned like where to get it and what is on it. Would appreciate that. Again many thanks Cheers Jon]

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Jon, I have no idea where to still get it, but 'James Cameron's Titanic Explorer' is a 3-CD ROM set containing a massive timeline of the ship's history, and tones else besides, and it's absolutely packed with the extra film footage, as well as an excellent feature where you can explore the 'full size' film replica ship to your heart's content. I'm sure there'll be more about this in the 'Computer' section, so we don't get you told off anymore for going off topic! But, consider it a 'must have'.

Mike

Feb 14, 2011
Back on the subject of Ghosts Of The Abyss outtakes, Im very eager to see photos of the framework of the grand staircase from the D deck area...

If the framework is bent upwards, that might support the theory the staircase floated up and out of the dome.
If bent downwards, then the weight of the water pulverised the stairs all the way down to D deck..If unbent, perhaps the stairs..on D deck at least, went to the bottom, intact, with the ship...

The fly in the ointment though are those missing baulestrades...
The fact that not even one was spotted at the bottom of the staircase shaft is a true enigma...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Tarn, I guess that very absence is the proof that the staircase, whether as a very big whole or in large chunks, did indeed float out...

Mar 3, 1998
Tarn,

The next issue of Commutator will be out soon, and you can examine the pictures for yourself. By the way, a careful examination of the footage reveals that more wood from the staircase exists in the wreck than previously thought. Not much, but enough to be interesting. Again, this will be presented in the upcoming issue so that you can judge for yourself.

However, the missing balustrades remain a puzzle.

Parks

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Parks!
Im on pins and needles waiting for the next issue..

Since the staircase set in the Cameron film broke loose and would have floated, that seems the best life sized test to prove that theory, that the staircase may have floated out of the dome..

As for floating debris spotted after, I do recall reading accounts where the Mackay Bennet and Minia crew spotted 'large pieces' of a stairway.

However a section of decorative staircase trim plucked from the sea by Mr Parker was from the aft grand staircase, as I have been told it was stenciled on the back of the wood ,in blue, "aft".

There could very well have been forward and aft grand staircase wood floating about...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Mar 3, 1998
Mike,

Thanks for the link to the DVD screenshots...that DVD site is really on top of things! Unfortunately, the screenshots show a spelling error in one of the menus, and it may be too late in the game to fix it.

Both Earthship and Disney were notified about the error today...that's about all we can do at this point. With an April release date, Disney has probably already completed the encode and publish process.

Parks

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
For those non-THS members here who may not know yet, the second part of Ken's great work, issue 164, is available to buy online right now-I've just ordered mine, drool!

Feb 14, 2011
Im no longer in THS, but still get Commutators from a friend..
Im In TI and get Voyage as well....

Despite each joural having an envelope that is clearly stamped "Do Not Bend", the mailman always makes a point to roll up the journals and cram them into my apt. mailbox....
Anyone else encounter that same problem?

regards

Tarn Stephanos