WRECK OUTTAKES from GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS

Jul 11, 2001
Hi Tarn!

I agree. As indicated, the further inside the ship one goes, the less deterioration there is, so that would imply there may be more to see deep inside.

It is hard to believe it has been almost 3 years since James Cameron did the Ghosts dives. Now I wonder when or if he will ever return. It takes deep pockets to fund those expeditions. I doubt Doctor Ballard will want to explorer inside the ship as JC did. Especially considering his "Do not disturb" attitude of the shipwreck.

David

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Tarn,

It will be interesting when the day comes when the ROV's lights finally shine there way in Titanic's ruined Turkish Baths. As we know this room was slightly different in arrangment from the Olympic. I am sure there are plenty more stories to tell in that area. I can just see that intacted marble drinking foundtain still sitting there just above the silt.

Best,

Nigel

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
"I doubt Doctor Ballard will want to explorer inside the ship as JC did. Especially considering his "Do not disturb" attitude of the shipwreck."

Yes, and I've got to say, I kind of wonder why he's really going at all.

Reactions: 1 user
M

Mikael Jonsson

I just became a member of THS and I was told that next part of the commutator will come in June.

Mikael

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Mike,

The final article in the "Ghosts Outtakes" series (Part 3) was at the printers last week and should be in the mail to members (or available for purchase) shortly.

Please remember everyone, you do NOT have to be a THS member to get this series. Each issue can be purchased separately through their website.

Ken

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
I forgot to mention, re: Ballard's current exploration and the possibility of his looking INSIDE the wreck, the following is in an article posted June 3:

> Dispatched to inspect the Titanic from various perspectives (including interior probes), these remote-controlled devices are tethered to the Ronald H. Brown by fiber-optic cable, with their high-definition video beamed to the watching world by satellite. <

This was news to me.

Ken

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Thank you for the info Ken, I very much look forward to seeing the final part of the outtakes soon then!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'll definately be looking for it in the mail. The first issue was great, the second even better!

Ken, I wonder if the Ballard expedition in fact brought anything along small enough to do the job of poking around the interior. I don't even know if they have anything compact enough the way the Jake and Elwood probes are. I didn't see anything indicated on the National Geographic site, but I may have missed it.

Or it may be a media contrivance. (Wouldn't be the first time...would it?)

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Nah, haven't they already stated that there will be no interior exploration on this trip? And asides from the areas not previously reached (Turkish Baths etc), we really are at the point of there BEING no point now, after the all-encompassing 2001 JC expedition!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Nah, haven't they already stated that there will be no interior exploration on this trip?<<

That was my understanding, so it leaves the question open as to whether or not this was media hype or if somebody changed his mind. If the latter, did they bring Jason along for the ride or leave it on the beach?

Feb 14, 2011
Jason Jr is resting somewhere on the sea floor....
A few years ago she was lost at sea..the tether presusambly cut....But perhaps she was recovered, or a replacement was constructed..

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
The advert banner on here says that Part 3 of the outtakes is available now, but I can't find any mention of it to buy on the THS site yet...

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was studying the "Ghosts of the Abyss" book again-Its amazing on D deck, how paint is still there, in nooks and corners, as well as in the open......Im assuming it was all lead based paint?

There are so many 'if onlys' associated with Titanic. The 'If Only' I toss about is 'if only she hadnt broken in two'.

Imagine if her 1st class dining room had survived as had the 1st class Reception Room...
Imagine if the 1st class Lounge were still intact...

The partially intact D deck cabin door was a breathtaking image too, as such still seemed to have intact white paint...

Am I a disturbed person for getting so excited over paint?

3 areas I hope to see explored in the future are the Squash court as well as the Turkish Baths and Swimming pool...
The Squash court and Swimming pool areas were both painted white....hopefully either room retains some paintwork...
As for the Turkish Baths, wasnt that room tiled and paneled, as oppsed to painted?

Im most eager to see that elegant fountain...It stands to reason that the Turkish Baths should be in breathtaking condition...

regards

Tarn Stephanos
It's actually NOT lead based paint. One would definitely think due to the time period, however I was surprised to find documentation that the White Star Line forbade the use of metal based paints in any and all public rooms.

JJAstorII

Mar 14, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The section of recovered paneling from above the lounge enterance (now at the Museum Of The Atlantic) was apparently from the forward part of the lounge, so perhaps the paneling, the nearby Lounge fireplace, the attached statue, wall fixtures and exerything else loose and bolted down were torn loose and ejected as Titanic split in two....

The area at the broken open end of the bow section should be caked in debris, such as bedframes, beams, etc, but doesnt seem to be......

I wonder why?
Just think about it, when the bow hit the sea floor, the torn open amidship decks accordioned down..The continuing inertia should have caused a huge quanity of debris to topple out of the exposed decks and plop down right behind the bow section.

But I think the debris is some distance away, perhaps having rained out before the bow section even hit the bottom....

For example, where is the compass tower (once affixed to the raised roof of the 1st class Lounge)?

Unless it was wrenched away during the freefall to the sea bottom, it should be right by the foot exposed boiler Room # 2.
But its nowhere to be found....

Jon,when the bow section hit the sea bottom,. and the decks accordioned, perhps that statue was propelled aft out of the torn open rear of the lounge?
If it were found near the torn open section of the bow section, it might support this.

The reason I always wanted the alcove of the Reading and Writing room explored was to see if the R&W room and lounge fireplaces are there,as well as the partition against which they were placed, or if the firepalces and adjoing wall are long gone...

regards

Tarn Stephanos
I'm obsessed with this part of the ship in particular. In one of the research sites I went to they described the (2010?) expedition where they discovered the entire R & W roof had now rotted over the Alcove of the R & W room. While they found a lunette from the round alcove windows (super exciting for me), still in perfect condition, it was reported the main areas of the room were completely destroyed including the fireplace as these areas all collapsed into the floors below as supports buckled and bent when the break happened. .