1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. More information
    Dismiss Notice

Wreck Protected?

Discussion in 'Collision Sinking & Wreck' started by Scott Mills, May 17, 2018.

1. Scott Mills

Scott Mills Member

I am curious if anyone knows what, if any, legal protections exist for the wreck of the Empress of Ireland? I know relatively little about the wreck, other than it is in shallow water and still largely intact. Given that, I sort of find it odd that no attempt (other than to remove the silver) has been made over the years to salvage the wreck.

And, frankly speaking, I am a bit concerned given the current price of low-background steel, that if the wreck is not currently offered legal protection, someone may in the future be successful at pitching the idea of attempting to salvage and scrap her.

2. Current status I'm not sure. But there was a lot of diving on her to recover artifacts over the years. A lot of stuff was brought up. I know that one of the main salvage divers (actually a treasure hunter) had a change of heart about what he did and believe he was lobbying to get protection for her. But I don't know the outcome of that.

3. Athlen

Athlen Member

There are still dives to the ship. However, the wreck is a National Historic Site and recovery from the wreck must be approved by the Quebec Ministry of Culture and Communications.

4. Scott Mills

Scott Mills Member

Awesome to hear this! If only I were a wreck diver, or a diver at all, this would be on my list.