Wreck site maps imagery

Andrew Fortes

Jan 12, 2001
Hello

Bit of background here - I'm a planetary scientist; I work on the surface of Saturn's moon Titan where there is a dense atmosphere and lots of dunes (so an interest in the Titanic is a matter of two extra letters - though Titanic was first when I was a kid).

I'm interested in the dunes around the Titanic wreck site described by Cochonat et al (1989), and I thought it would be cool to try and combine my two biggest interests.

Does anyone know where I can obtain detailed bathymetric maps of the area, and specifically the wreck site, and also sonar imagery? What happened to all the SAR imagery that IFREMER collected during the 1985 expedition?

I presume detailed archeological maps of the wreck exist so all the expeditions can find their way around!!

Thanks

Dominic

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I presume detailed archeological maps of the wreck exist so all the expeditions can find their way around!! <<

That may be a dangerous assumption to make. You might try contacting either Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute or RMS Titanic Inc. You might also try contacting whatever agency has control over the Akedemik Keldysh which is the mother ship for the MIR submersibles. Beyond that, I have no idea who would have such data.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hello

Bit of background here - I'm a planetary scientist; I work on the surface of Saturn's moon Titan where there is a dense atmosphere and lots of dunes (so an interest in the Titanic is a matter of two extra letters - though Titanic was first when I was a kid).

I'm interested in the dunes around the Titanic wreck site described by Cochonat et al (1989), and I thought it would be cool to try and combine my two biggest interests.

Does anyone know where I can obtain detailed bathymetric maps of the area, and specifically the wreck site, and also sonar imagery? What happened to all the SAR imagery that IFREMER collected during the 1985 expedition?

I presume detailed archeological maps of the wreck exist so all the expeditions can find their way around!!

Thanks

Dominic

Here you go! found it on the official Ifremer site a month or so ago. Here you go, even though you don't come around anymore sadly.
Can anyone interpret this?
Image-du-SAR-zone-Titanic.jpg