Writing books about the Titanic

C

Cristina Sasse

Hi!
I've got a question: Do you think, I'm to young to write books and stories about the Titanic??? I'm 14, you must know. Well, I do it. But I don't know what others think about this.
Bye,
Crissy
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
So long as you do your research and make sure your facts are streight, I don't think anyone is too young to write a book about anything. Right now may not be the best time to try and publish though as interest in the Titanic is at a low point in the literary world. Still, the year 2012 is approaching so now would be a good time to start working on it. That way, you'll have a good work for publication when that 100th anniversery of the sinking arrives.

Good luck.

C

Cristina Sasse

Hey!
Thank you for your very, very encouraging words!
I will tackle this! I#m searching the whole day things and facts in the internet an I think, I will tackle this!
Thank you very much!
Crissy
happy.gif
)))))

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Cristina!

I heartily (and belatedly) second Michael's comments. I am hardly ever in this section of the message board.

Nobody is too young (or old) to write. Do what your heart says.

I'm a firm believer in meritocracy. (As opposed to bureaucracy! Wink!
mad.gif
)

Best regards,

Mark.

Dec 4, 2000
Cristina -- I attempted to write my first book at age 14 while sitting in a boring study hall. Naturally, it was a book about boats. That project is still sitting on a shelf at my mother's house. I don't look at it often, but she still reads it.

I was attempting to copy the "bible" of pleasure boating in the United States, a book called "Chapmans Piloting, Seamanship & Small Boat Handling." Some 35 years later, I got the call to update the real book. I had the pleasure of working on two editions.

So, sometimes success is a bit slower in coming than you expect. That makes it all the more rewarding.

-- David G. Brown

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Go for it, sweetie, and if you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. Also, you might check your local Barnes and Nobles and Borders to see if they have monthly writers' critique groups. This is an excellent place to learn the craft of writing from those who do it. I've found fellow writers to be very generous and non-competitive when it comes to mentoring younger or less experienced writers. And it's free!

All the best,
Kyrila

Jan 5, 2001
I hope Crissy sees this because this thread has moved; I lost it for a while. But thanks for your e-mail, encouragement is no problem.

Kyrila said And it's free!

Isn't *that* the most important thing of all?
wink.gif

Best regards,

Mark.

Dec 8, 2000
This thread originated in the Crew Resarch forum and is now more appropriately located in the Titanic Books forum. As per the Board's 'Rules & Netiquette':
quote:

When starting a new discussion.
- Always choose the right topic for your message...

While it is regrettable that some members may've experienced difficulty in finding this relocated thread, more are likely to join in the discussion here. For example, see the comment in Mark's earliest thread above.

==========================================

Crissy,
As another who works in the sector, I'll second all the above comments that you're never too young to start writing. You also haven't specified whether your particular interest is in fiction or historical research, but don't feel at your age (or any age!) that you have to be locked into a particular genre or form. Most importantly, don't wait for the muse to strike before you write - if you're serious, make a commitment to your writing on a regular basis.

Finally, one of the saddest things I experience in my work is the number of people who want to write but don't read - and thus have no context for their own work in the same area. Read as much as you can in the areas that interest you. You don't have to disect it all for substance and style, but thinking about what does/doesn't work in engaging a reader's interest may be invaluable when you're developing your own work.

Good luck.​

D

Danny Ehlers

Hi!
This post has been helpful to me too, as I am also 14 and an "aspiring" writer. So thanks for your good advice!

-D.Ehlers

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Well, the same invitation goes to you as well, Danny. And Cristine, don't be put off writing in English as well as your native German language. You have a good grasp of English conversation and can only improve as you continue your correspondence and study.
Keep a daily journal so you're writing every day, no matter what the topic. Write your thoughts, your observations, muses, etc. It doesn't matter what you write as long as you just keep writing. You never know where it will lead you.
All the best to both of you,
Kyrila

C

Cristina Sasse

Hi there!
Thanks to everyone who encouraged my with his/hers words!
happy.gif

Crissy