Yarmouth Castle Photos

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Here are a couple of snapshots, taken from a scrapbook dated 1936, of the Yarmouth Castle under her original name of Evangeline. They were apparently taken from a passing larger ship and, when compared to photos taken just before the fire, they show that little was done in the way of structural alterations between 1927 and 1965.
40470.jpg

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one interested in the Yarmouth Castle. I lived in Miami at the time, although I was too young to understand what exactly took place, and have been wanting to remedy that. I do remember seeing survivors brought back to port at night on the TV news and being concerned about it, but all I remember about the event itself is that there was a fire, and recently I was told here that the captain and crew left the passengers on the burning ship while they absconded in a lifeboat. Let's keep this thread going so I can learn as much as possible.

Thanks,
Kyrila

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
There is an excellent Yarmouth Castle documentary on A&E. It covers the standard ground: crew stealing lifebelts from the passengers; captain prematurely abandoning ship to "seek help;" little or no warning given to the passengers, and in addition to a great selection of interviews also has home movies and a few still shots of the ship burning. I have some interior views which, unfortunately, are still under copyright, and which show her to have been decorated in a pseudo "olde English" style as she was originally constructed. I wonder why there has never been a book, or even an extended article, about this disaster- it has all the makings of a great summer read, and unlike many of the other disasters there are still scores of survivors and eyewitnesses alive- including the captain who does not grant interviews.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
There is also a good chapter in Protasio's To The Bottom of The Sea, and a few years back an article in Reader's Digest, which I saved but now cannot find.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Here is the Yarmouth Castle's Dining Room.
87843.jpg

This was one of the very few rooms aboard Y.C. to be effectively photographed. Her interiors were low ceilinged, relatively small, and panelled in dark wood which makes the publicity photos difficult to interpret.

G

Gavin Murphy

Must of done something wrong yesterday with this post so here goes again.......

If I hadn't already mentioned, I wrote an article on this disaster in the Atlantic Advocate in, I believe, 1984.....

Included was an original pic (I bought from the photographer himself) of the YC, then-named Evangeline, leaving Yarmouth, NS Canada on its then regular run to Boston......

G