Yet more Titanic Trivia & Funnel Flicks From the Past

Apr 11, 2001
Robert Wagner and old whatshername-Annette?- do a mean Navajo Rag if memory serves-a lot more appealling than SPITTING! O.K. Here's Wednesday's offering and y'all come out and play-my captain is beginning to suspect ANOTHER man! Mr. Cook- we are discovered! Here 'tis. SOS Titanic features a repeated theme-especially for Martin and the 3rd class beauty. Name the tune and the composer.Not musically inclined? Here's another to work on-which very famous liner makes a cameo appearance in a WWII vintage film about a plot to blow up an American battleship as she is launched? For a REAL challenge name the stars and the director.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
You are correct, Shel! And I agree with you about the spitting scene.

However, I haven't a clue as to the answers to your latest poser. Hope somebody else can come up with this one.

Best regards,
Cook

Oct 25, 2005
Hi All!
Sorry to butt in without even properly introducing myself to you via profile, but Shelley & Mike Findlay know I can never keep my mouth shut when I know the answer (even when I don't know the answer!). The film is "Saboteur" (not to be confused with "Sabotage") directed by Alfred Hitchcock & starring Robert Cummmings (yes, of "Love That Bob" fame) and Priscilla Lane. The cameo consists of newsreel footage of the Normandie on its side in the Hudson River, post-fire, and the smirking villain is Norman Lloyd, later of "St. Elsewhere" fame, who dies a dastardly death by falling from the Statue of Liberty.
I've loved lurking on the ET boards--now I'll 'fess up and post my profile!
Betty Greitzer

Apr 11, 2001
The peanut buttah cups are coming OUT of the freezer- (sorry Dan). Correcto-mundo on ALL counts. Look out Cookster- the Trivia Crown Princess of the Universe is back in town- my worthy successor! Since I have to meet Sheriff Molony at dawn for the duel- here's Thursday's twister- who survived the Posidon Adventure?- just the actor's names will do! You KNOW you've seen it a ZILLION times!

Apr 11, 2001
Opps- was so excited to have a new contestant I forgot to tell you wimpy LURKERS out there that the haunting SOS Titanic theme mentioned above is "Bethany" composed by Mr. Ragtime- Scott Joplin. Only the first section- the dreamy, slightly wistful part is played.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
I welcome ANY one who knows the answers to these brain teasers - the little grey cells (to borrow from Poirot) just aren't what they used to be. Wonderful to meet you, Betty. I've just been lucky on these answers, trust me.

Regarding the survivors of the Posidon, I can remember the following: Ernest Borgnine, Red Buttons, Carol Lynley, Roddy McDowell and Jack Albertson plus a girl and a small boy - don't know who they were. And that's the best I can do on this one.

Best regards,
Cook

Apr 11, 2001
Tres bien, Monsieur Poirot. A small hint on the girl- think "Nancy Drew"- now if Miss Marple doesn't come up with the suspect- I'll see you and Hastings at 10. Miss Lemon

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Snails? What about my second chance card on the Reese's?
OK, here's a real Titanic trivia question, only the catch is, I don't know the answer! So, HA!
In ANTR, Bride asks Phillips after the collision, "What's up?"
Phillips responds, "Oh, we've stopped, blowing off steam; something wrong, I don't know what..."
He pulls the chair forward and says something - what???
Bride then asks if Phillips needs a hand, to which he responds, "I've finished with the Cape Race traffic. Uh, you can help with the accounts, if you like."
What's the 'missing line'?
Prize? Well, the satisfaction of knowing you helped out a Reese's P-Nut Butter cup-deprived Titanic researcher...
No escargots this time, sorry.
Maybe a morel mushroom or two?

Dan

Oct 25, 2005
Re: Poseidon Adventure--this is *real* helpful, but wasn't the actress named Pamela (can't think of her last name). BTW, every time I see the film, I want that pesky younger brother to drown, no matter how important he is to the plot! Shell--I do agree re: "Bethany"--isn't that the one that's subtitled "A Ragtime Waltz"?
Betty

K

Karen Angstadt

Pamela Sue Martin is her name. She played Nancy Drew in the series.
On a totally different note, I was watching "Coal Miner's Daughter" last night. Sissy Spacek(Loretta Lynn)sings a song about the Titanic to her kids at bedtime. Never noticed that before.

Oct 25, 2005
Thank you, Karen, for supplying the name--I was having a major senior moment! On another topic, has anyone seen "History is Made at Night"? A true classic from the thirties with Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur. It's three-funnel Titanic--the ship in the film looks like the misbegotten offspring of the Queen Mary and the Normandie.

Apr 11, 2001
Karen gets the peanut butter cups and the Dionne Warwick Psychic Network Award for divining MY Thursday night trivia question!!! Yes- the song Sissy sings is an oldie my GRANNY used to sing to me(don't ask when!)Betty ,History is Made at Night has its OWN little thread (a mere FIBER really) under Movies. Dan is steamed cause the Peanut Buttah cups are gonezo- fear not- you may yet redeem yourself oh sugar fiend! Give me the name of the ship and shipping line made famous by Movietone -bearing Miss Kelley to her prince. Now I have to PONDER Dan's twister- Karen, getting any deja vu vibrations?

Apr 11, 2001
Wait- !something is forming through the ether--uh... Bride says something about having to send all the private messages from the passengers now...my eyes are heavy-am feeling sleepy....

Oct 25, 2005
I don't know if it made Movietone famous, but didn't Grace Kelly and her retinue sail on the Independence? American President Line?

Apr 11, 2001
Gong- Nope, Try Again Contestant #3- forfeit 2 peanut butter cups, slide down the chute and lose one turn, roll a "3" and get a Cootie antenae. For the Brits who tune in nightly, slide down the "snake". Draw the Old Maid then Go to Jail on the way to see Uncle Wiggley.

Dec 2, 2000
You know, some stupid salvage team is going to dig this server up when the global warming causes the ice flows to melt big time and the earth is covered with water until it freezes back up a billion years from now. And this salvage guy of 1GK is going to find this site and try to figure out our species based on peanut butter cups, cherry fizzies and Uncle Wiggley!

Oh my! Maureen.

Oct 25, 2005
Maureen--Speaking of which, have you ever read "Motel of the Mysteries"? Has got to be one of the funniest books to ever see the printed page!
Betty

K

Karen Angstadt

I love peanut butter cups!! You guys are way over my head with some of this trivia though. Karen.