Your criticisms needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Lear

Aug 22, 2003
At http://www.leetong.com/NorZip003.zip you can download a rendering of a 3D model of the Normandie that I have been working on.

The file is rather large, at around 300k. My apologies to anyone with dial-up.

I started this last Christmas as a way to become familiar with a software package I had just purchased, then left off after a couple of weeks. I resumed in earnest about a month ago, and if I ever finish would like to make this some sort of VR tour for the Internet (both exterior and interiors).

What you see is only about 2/3 complete, and I have only the photographic record to go by, which makes me more prone to creating errors. I already know that the wing/docking bridges are inaccurate, and that I will need to raise the height of the wheelhouse and widen the rear of the first funnel base.

I located this discussion board in another of my periodic "Normandie" searches on Google - thanks to anybody who is able to help

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Tom- are there any specific areas of the ship of which you need photos? I have several hundred and might be able to help.

Tom Lear

Aug 22, 2003
Well, I saw already some of the photos you had posted in other threads, and they were enlightening.

I'm afraid at this point there isn't really any one "specific" area for me to zero in on - I have questions about just every section of the ship. If I have time I'll post some close-up renders tomorrow and start from there.

Thanks for answering, I do appreciate it. Several hundred photos???

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
I have a great source for Normandie items, and have had the good fortune of acquiring several large lots of photos from her. Even the most mundane of shots usually has something previously unnoticed about the ship in it, or so I have noticed.

Do you have the large format Isodeckplans? I have the one issued for the 1938 Rio cruise, which shows the cabin numbers and placement of furniture for 90% of First and Second Class- it omits the 'inferior' First Class cabins which were not made available for that cruise, along with the least desirable Second Class cabins.

Tom Lear

Aug 22, 2003
I have no Isodeckplans, just some Dover publications (notably the Braynard book) and the June 1, 1935 issue of L'Illustration. Whenever I get around to doing interior areas I'll probably start with the 1st Class public rooms.

Attached are three renders I did last night. The first looks out from the Cargo Deck to the front jackstaff. I'm reasonably sure I got the cranes right but don't know about the main cargo hatch. Nor do I know if anything was kept beneath that huge breakwater, or how one got from from the Cargo deck to the Forepeak deck. And which flag was it that flew from the front jackstaff? I have photos showing it not to be the French flag, but I can't make out what it should be instead.

So many questions for just one area. The second rendering looks forward to the bridge - you can see some of the improvised detailing I made up for the main cargo hatch, and also some of the navigational instruments on the roof of the wheelhouse.

I had to do a lot of guessing on what was on that roof - apart from the two radio transmitter I really have no idea. The large rectangular panel on the RHS supported two big instruments of some sort, but I couldn't make out what they were, so I guessed a pair of wind direction indicators. (I think now maybe they were a small set of searchlights?) here was also another instrument behind the second radio transmitter inside the wall created by the first funnel base, that I improvised as a windspeed finder.

There also seems to have been a small deckhouse, and some other structure nearby, which I improvised as an a/c vent. Have no idea what it really was.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Here is a view of the whaleback, as seen from first class.

I have a view, from the fashion model's photo album, which shows the general area in the second picture you posted. I'll dig it out and see if it contains anything not seen in your rendering.
72266.jpg

Tom Lear

Aug 22, 2003
Jim:

That bow photo is very informative - thanks! I never had had a clue as to what was there.

Based on that and some of the other photos I've seen, I already have my hands full with adjustments that need to be made: redoing the wing bridges and wheelhouse, widening and redoing the sun deck, and then that breakwater.

My personal life is also shifting back into high gear right now as well, but maybe in a couple of weeks I can post some of my progress. Thanks again for all your help.

Keep an eye out for anything showing what's on top of that wheelhouse. thx.

Tom Lear

Aug 22, 2003
BTW, I am months away, at best, from starting on the interior, but do the Isodeckplans also include layouts for public areas, like the 2nd and 3rd class dining rooms, what was inside that large deckhouse on the rear promenade deck, etc? Or is it just cabins?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
The deckplans show all of the furniture placement for the first and second class public rooms and cabins. The set I have were created for the 1938 Rio cruise and so omit a few of the smaller cabins in both classes and, strangely, do not give the names for the first class suites.

If you need any help, or other photos, you can contact me through my email, available on my profile.

Tom Lear

Aug 22, 2003
I've uploaded an extremely large file, over 1MB in size. I'm assuming interested parties have a zip utility and a reasonably fast connection.

You can download from http://www.alae.us/012904_Render002.zip

Got some work done over the Christmas holiday. Am working on the stacks now, and after that I just have to add the masts and detail out the Sun Deck.
Before I actually finish, more commentary/criticism is always welcome. Sorry for all the legalese at the bottom. Thx.

M

Mike Anderson

Sounds like a great project. A bit like a 3D version of the Albert Sébille painting. (On a side note, does anybody know if there's a hi-res version of that floating around somewhere? Or is it still under copyright?)

Anyway, I clicked the links, and they weren't working. I hope the bandwidth didn't get overrun, as I'd really love to see the renderings.

In any case, good luck with the project!

Tom Lear

Aug 22, 2003
Strange, worked OK for me on DSL. Don't know about dial-up, though. What sort of error did you get, exactly, because I punched in the IP address for my site and got some company I've never heard of.

Is the Sebille painting that one from L'Illustration? All one would have to do is scan it in.

M

Mike Anderson

Well, it's odd, as I have a quick cable connection. The link is definately valid in some way or another; it just times out after maybe twenty seconds. It then goes to my browser's default error message. ("The page cannot be displayed The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.") I'm near-positive it's not a function of my browser settings: no auto timeout as far as I know.

Regarding the painting, I actually don't have a physical copy of it. Basically what I know of it is from blotchy, lo-res images found on Google's image search/Normandie websites and the Only Way to Cross description. I guess I'll try and grab some sort of printing of the thing off Ebay.

Anyway, guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the site works for me later.

N

Nicolas Roughol

Tom,

This latest preview is really impressive. The way you manage to render every small detail really amazes me. I can't wait to see the final rendering once you've completed it.

Cheers

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Fantastic depiction Tom, its still clear and shows every little detail when enlarged to the maximum.

Waiting to see your final rendition.....

N

Nicolas Roughol

Tom,

Is it possible to get a higher resolution picture (1600*1200) of your latest picture to use as a wallpaper?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.