Your favorite movie

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Kate Millet; About 15-17 years ago, a friend of mine worked at her Christmas tree farm. It was a cooperative, at which women performed all steps of the reaping and sowing process. True story- when a friend of mine went up to visit, and asked directions at a gas station, the attendant (and remember, this is ca 1990) warned her that it was a dangerous place overrun with lesbians and that she, my friend, should help our friend who was working there 'escape' before something awful happened. So....in many ways things have gotten better in the last 20 years.

That said, "The Basement" is one of the weirdest books I have ever read. I strongly suggest that anyone who cares to read Ms. Millet's masterpiece, read it in conjunction with The Indiana Torture Killing and the entry on crimelibrary.com ( http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/young/likens/1.html ) to see how, for want of a better term, demented and obsessive a work it is.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>and I certainly don't believe that having children is a capital offense.<<

Niether do I, but Perhaps I should have been more specific. I was thinking of the fringe extremists who hold that "Doing The Deed" even for fun, is an act of rape, even if the lady in question not only consented, but even actively sought it out to the point of initiating it.

Fortunately for the human race as a whole, these fringe types aren't taken seriously or the world's population would go from 6,000,000,000 to zero within a century.

But, they're out there.

>>Although then we get bogged down in all sorts of socio-economic arguments about how truly 'free' we are to choose...<<

One could have quite a lively discussion on how free anyone is to choose regardless of gender. Men aren't immune to being pidgeonholed into stereotypes either.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

Well, what can I say, science was never my favorite subject.
Then why are you belittling the people that do take an interest in it, Sharon? Comments such as the ones you've made aren't going to get you anywhere. If it's not your fancy, then why bother with it? No one is forcing you to pursue it.

Enough with the hypocrisy already!​

S

sharon rutman

Join me on a little reality break for a second. Over the weekend I dusted off Ghosts of the Abyss and I tried--I really, really, really, really tried to be objective, thinking maybe I overlooked something of the importance regarding Ms. Johnston and her research work. Maybe she was doing important work on the expedition and I just wasn't getting with the program. Well, my worst suspicions were realized--all Titanic Barbie did was was introduce herself, look really cute in her jumpsuit and watch some Russian crewman play Russian folktunes on his guitar. She didn't do anything significant the whole time--maybe if she had spent 5 minutes in the lab peering under a microscope I would have had some grudging respect for her. But boy oh boy, it was even more fun to watch the men venturing down to tour Titanic, peering out of those itsy-bitsy portholes going oooooooohhhhh and aaaaaaaahhhhhh! Once again, it was just another installment in James Cameron's excellent Titanic adventure!

The only thing that creeped me out is that the expedition coincided with the 9/11 attacks.

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
"She [Ms Johnston] didn't do anything significant the whole time--maybe if she had spent 5 minutes in the lab peering under a microscope I would have had some grudging respect for her."

Sharon: Why are you basing your opinion of Ms Johnston's research work, abilities and contribution to the expedition solely on what was shown within a documentary? How can you possibly judge her abilities and contributions objectively just on what was shown during the programme?

"Well, my worst suspicions were realized--all Titanic Barbie did was was introduce herself, look really cute in her jumpsuit and watch some Russian crewman play Russian folktunes on his guitar."

If a man had made such a derogatory comment, all hell would be breaking out and I believe it likely that you would be leading the attack.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
quote:

all Titanic Barbie did was was introduce herself, look really cute in her jumpsuit and watch some Russian crewman play Russian folktunes on his guitar. She didn't do anything significant the whole time--maybe if she had spent 5 minutes in the lab peering under a microscope I would have had some grudging respect for her.
Could you be anymore insulting, Sharon? You can't possibly base your opinion of her and the kind of work she has done, by watching one documentary. To think that you can, suggests narrow mindedness and ignorance to the fullest.

Bravo, Paul. Well said.​

Luke Owens

Jan 18, 2007
Back to the movies, here. I find it incredibly amusing that NO ONE EVER seems to mention "The Memory of Eva Ryker" on ET. I know, strictly speaking it's not a Titanic movie, although the Titanic plays a major part in it. Still, one would think it would get an honourable mention at least....

Luke

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Join me on a little reality break for a second.

Will you be present in the world of reality for that long? If so, yes, I'm willing to join you for a second as long as you converse intelligently and promise to avoid lapsing into content-free 1990s style rabble rousing...

>all Titanic Barbie did...

...Oh, dear, you couldn't pull it off. So much for venturing into the world of reality. Back to the alternative universe you go. Perhaps a second was too optimistically long a time frame to set for this infrequent visit. (And she departs for the world of Dystopia, grumbling as she goes)

>If a man had made such a derogatory comment, all hell would be breaking out and I believe it likely that you would be leading the attack.

And probably failing to convince. But, you are correct, Paul. I think that what we are seeing here is the rarest of all....uh....birds....a female misogynist! Let's see.....Dr. Johnson is intelligent; employed; succeeding in a traditionally male-oriented field (at least through the 1970s); accepted by her peers of both genders and, best of all, published. AND, she manages to look attractive in a way that does not make her seem less serious. In short A HORRIBLE BARBIE LIKE ROLE MODEL FOR GIRLS AND YOUNG WOMEN! At least on some planets. On OUR planet, she has nothing to atone for.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Sharon, please do remember that when companies make films like GOTA, they have to cut many many many hours of footage from the finished movie that we see on the screen. Just because we don't see it on-screen doesn't mean that Dr. Johnston wasn't there or doing important work. There are also many hours if not days of actual Titanic footage that isn't included in these films either. Does that mean these parts of the Titanic aren't there or are not important? No. It is all simply about the entertainment industry trying to create a reasonable-length film that the masses will actually fund, watch, and enjoy.

I do side with you on one point only, and that is I, too, found the scene with the "guitar" music playing a bit too long, and the movie would have been better off with out it. Artistically, I can understand why it is included, but it is a part I always fast-forward.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
quote:

AND, she manages to look attractive in a way that does not make her seem less serious. In short A HORRIBLE BARBIE LIKE ROLE MODEL FOR GIRLS AND YOUNG WOMEN!
You're forgetting her most egregious crime - she has some screen time where she is shown listening to a creman play Russian folktunes. Oh, the horror! When will women ever escape this vicious stereotyping?

Sharon, for a woman who has been known to tell us all in the past on this board about a dress she owns that has an effect similar to a product sold extensively through spam emails (the name of which is banned by the discussion board, even in a censored version), I'm not entirely confident that you're in the best position to lambast anyone as a "Titanic Barbie".​

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Mindy, interesting choice on the German propaganda film. It is a curious animal, isn't it? I'm rather partial to the first German film about the disaster, In Nacht Und Eis - not least because the fashion, although a bit geographically removed, is so close chronologically to the disaster.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Oh, the horror! When will women ever escape this vicious stereotyping?

When the crewman is singing powerful, hard hitting, feminist songs. "They gave you coffee, they gave you tea, they gave you everything but the jailhouse key. They gave you sunshine, they gave you sea, they gave you everything but equality" (John 'n' Yoko, 1972)