Your own Titanic Tourist Attraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Have any of you ever imagined having your own Titanic tourist attraction? This is really bizarre, but I would love to have built a cutaway replica of the ship in a scale that would suit dolls the size of Barbie, that could be posed to form diorama's of significant moments of the sinking. Strange I know. I need to get a life.

May 3, 2005
>>Have any of you ever imagined having your own Titanic tourist attraction?<<
>>Strange I know.<<

Not too strange. There is a display by the American Museum of Miniature Arts in a local Museum (Hall of State, Fair Park, Dallas, Texas.)
Your idea would make an interesting addition.

May 7, 2005
I have sometimes pondered the thought but the thought of thousands of creepy Barbies in Edwardian clothing is more than I can take

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
This isn't Titanic, but it gives an idea of the effectiveness of model sets with custom-made dolls. It's part of a museum exhibit, but sorry, I can't remember where it is or which ship is represented.

98888.jpg

Teresa Parks

Feb 18, 2001
Damon,
That is not strange at all - because I have often thought how cool it would be to re-do my basement which is a game/laundry room it's actually 2 rooms with an open entryway between the 2 - and have a replica of an area of Titanic on one side - e.g. the grand staircase leading into a 1st class dining hall and on the other side I want a life size taxidermy great white shark ( another passion of mine ) they both would flow nicely togather I think. Yes, I have a warped sense of humor but I think that would be really cool.

May 3, 2005
Teresa-

>>I want a life size taxidermy great
white shark <<

How about a life size taxidermy of Jack and Rose at the clock at the top of the stairs? Ugh !

Teresa Parks

Feb 18, 2001
Robert,

<How about a life size taxidermy of Jack and Rose <at the clock at the top of the stairs? Ugh !

I would if I could . . . LOL

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Further to the image I posted above, I've been reminded that it's one of a series of dioramas in the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum - and they do represent rooms on Titanic.

Aug 29, 2000
That Ulster exhibit came to Mystic Seaport, CT maybe 10 years ago and was superb. There was a dark room with a model of the ship sinking in a calm sea, with voices of survivors coming through the speakers in the dark- very moving. Tommy Andrews' drafting tools were there also- very emotional seeing these.

Feb 21, 2005
Hi Jason!

Isn't that the same model they used for the sinking sequence in Titanic: Death Of A Dream by A&E?

It sure looks similar.

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, Jason!

I saw that model here in Seattle back in the 80s. It's a great model and I liked that it had Lightoller's BBC radio broadcast playing through the speakers. That A&E program uses so many weird camera angles and superimposed images to simulate movement that I've never really been able to draw a bead on the model itself. But my hunch is, it's the same one. I think the end credits list the UF&TM, don't they?

Roy

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Roy,

Yes, I enjoyed hearing Lightoller's radio broadcast as well. It makes you stop and listen to what Lights is saying, while staring at the model going down by the head.

I do remember the different camera angles, so it is hard to tell. But I believe you are correct in that the UF&TM are credited at the end.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Feb 24, 2004
I'd forgotten about those interior models until I saw the photo on this thread. They were very nicely done, as was the entire exhibit. The only fault I found was that the port navigation light on the Titanic model had burned out and was never replaced. But the model was still handy for checking the different levels of illumination the ship displayed from various angles and elevations.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.