Your Thoughts on the QM2

James Doyle

Jul 30, 2002
I started this thread to see everyones reactions to Cunard's (Carnival's) newest liner, The Queen Mary 2. I for one can't wait for the ship to begin operation. I think its about time for a shipping company to come out with a ship that looks somewhat like an old ocean liner then one that looks like a box on water. It has classic liner looks like the wrap around promanade deck and rooms such as "The Winter Garden" which was popular on ships in the 1920's and 30's. (I would just like to thank my liner buddy Alan for that info) I have looked at the rooms on board and almost every room brought me back to images of classic liners such as the original Queen Mary, Mauratania, Ile de France and the Normandie. So thats my thoughts on the Queen Mary 2 and I hope someday I will be lucky enough to sail on the new "Queen of the Seas"

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
I am very much looking forward to the QM2! I hope to cruise on her in 2004 or 2005. Many people said the QE2 was the last of her kind. Fortunately, those reports were premature.
Brent

Apr 23, 2002
I am also looking forward to her sailing etc.
While I agree that the ships appearance does reflect the old transatlantic liners, I think Cunard should have done something a little more exciting with the funnel - does anyone else agree?
I would have liked to have seen 2 or even possible 3 funnels on the vessel.
I know times have changed and with it styles, but it would have been a nice move in the way of Cunards heritage.

James Doyle

Jul 30, 2002
I agree with you 100% Greg. If you look on TGOL website they have the same thoughts you do and even provides an illustration of their and your veiw. Just enter the website, click on Miscellaneous, then click on Queen Mary 2.

www.greatoceanliners.net

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
I finally got my QM2 brochure in the mail today. (after a month's wait) It
is obvious that Cunard is trying to embrace its heritage in a big way. The
brochure is more of an old style one to advertise the ship rather than just
a cruise ad. Plenty of old images of the QM, Mauretania, and other liners
abound in it. The interiors seem to have a bit of art deco in them, with
modern refinements.
I am seriously considering the Jul 1-5 2004 Independence Day Weekend cruise.
I am really looking forward to this ship! I have only been on one cruise
previously, the Fantasy in 1996, and can't wait to get on a ship double the
size! (and one with ocean liner-like interiors)
Brent