YouTube video

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017
Hello Miss Goodwin,

I must report the picture at 1:13 are not Thomas Andrews Jr and his wife Helen “Nellie” Reilly Barbour. And the picture on the left above at 1:24 is not on Thomas his own wedding but the wedding of his sister Eliza "Nina" Montgomery Andrews to captain Lawerence Arhur Hind on the 26th of April 1906.

Yours sincerely,

Thomas

Jul 4, 2020
Thank you but i looked up as much as i can on thomas wedding and they was at there wedding i am not 100% sure but i think he was Thomas Andrews best man or what ever they called it back then but yes i did know but thanks anyway
i spent a long time doing the video getting the music in line with the pictures and then i relised they were still on their i did not want to do all the video over again

Nov 14, 2005
Linda, I had not seen some of those pictures before... Thanks. In another thread it was asked who you would like to talk to if you could talk to one. I said Lawrence Beesley for his survivor account. But if I could talk to Thomas Andrews that would have been more educational to me. So many questions to ask him about the ship.

Reactions: 1 user

Kate Powell

May 27, 2020
UK
I definitely agree with you Steven. I would so much have liked to have walked around the ship with Thomas Andrews as he surveyed the damage after the collision, got to know him better and if only I could have saved his notebook on changes and improvements he'd planned to the ship whilst on the maiden voyage.
I am sure his ideas would have been invaluable for assisting with later designs.

Jul 4, 2020
i would of love to met Thomas Andrews, he seemed like a great person who cared about people he was my best person on the titanic it was a real shame his body was never found . Out of the people who lived, the sinking, i would of love to have met molly brown or Lawrence Beesley

Rennette Marston

Rennette Marston
May 23, 2020
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I definitely agree with you Steven. I would so much have liked to have walked around the ship with Thomas Andrews as he surveyed the damage after the collision, got to know him better and if only I could have saved his notebook on changes and improvements he'd planned to the ship whilst on the maiden voyage.
I am sure his ideas would have been invaluable for assisting with later designs.

Hey, Kate! I have made yet another Titanic video. Here it is. I hope you all will enjoy it:

Elr James

May 10, 2020
Those attracted to the thought of being an adult aboard Titanic after the collision (so as to have freely walked around with and talked to a significant someone of their choice) might well reflect upon what the actual circumstances of their presence would've been. Firstly, their social position would likely be whatever that of their great-grand-parents was: most of them would probably either be in 'steerage' as a passenger or a low ranking crew member: not really among those with the greatest freedom to choose who they could 'single out' for a cosy chat and walkabout. Secondly (and particularly if they were in the aforementioned 'class' grouping), it wouldn't simply be a question of taking notes and publishing them for posterity: they'd actually have been very lucky indeed to have even survived, particularly as a man.

Last edited:

Kate Powell

May 27, 2020
UK
Very true as you point out Elr. There would have been so much happening and first thoughts and priorities for anyone would surely be to try and survive the situation by making it to the lifeboats.
You're quite right that social class and position would have determined who a person would have encountered onboard and particularly for men, whether they would have survived.
Nevertheless it would have been useful if Thomas Andrews' notebook and Captain Smiths' logbook had been handed to a passenger in a lifeboat for preserving and helping with later investigations.

Elr James

May 10, 2020
Your final paragraph is entirely agreeable and presumably documentation from the 'Marconi Room' would've been similarly 'useful'.

Moderator's note: Edited to correct formatting. MAB

Last edited by a moderator:

Rennette Marston

Rennette Marston
May 23, 2020
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Those attracted to the thought of being an adult aboard Titanic after the collision (so as to have freely walked around with and talked to a significant someone of their choice) might well reflect upon what the actual circumstances of their presence would've been. Firstly, their social position would likely be whatever that of their great-grand-parents was: most of them would probably either be in 'steerage' as a passenger or a low ranking crew member: not really among those with the greatest freedom to choose who they could 'single out' for a cosy chat and walkabout. Secondly (and particularly if they were in the aforementioned 'class' grouping), it wouldn't simply be a question of taking notes and publishing them for posterity: they'd actually have been very lucky indeed to have even survived, particularly as a man.

I agree.

Nov 14, 2005
I would have wanted to talk to him in the shipyard when she was being built. He was known for talking with the workers. He wasn't hung up on class. He was more interested in getting the job done in the best way he knew how. One of the reasons I would have liked to talk to him. But thats based on what I know in the present. Which also means knowing what we do today I would have never stepped foot on Titanic after she left Queenstown so being pigeon holed because of class would have meant nothing to me. But its just an academic exercise in "what if you could". Never gonna happen. If H.G. Wells were to suddenley pop into my living room and say lets take a ride in my machine, there would be others in history I would want to talk to way before Mr. Andrews.

Last edited:

Elr James

May 10, 2020
I would have wanted to talk to him in the shipyard when she was being built. He was known for talking with the workers. He wasn't hung up on class. He was more interested in getting the job done in the best way he knew how. One of the reasons I would have liked to talk to him. But thats based on what I know in the present. Which also means knowing what we do today I would have never stepped foot on Titanic after she left Queenstown so being pigeon holed because of class would have meant nothing to me. But its just an academic exercise in "what if you could". Never gonna happen. If H.G. Wells were to suddenley pop into my living room and say lets take a ride in my machine, there would be others in history I would want to talk to way before Mr. Andrews.
The contribution was merely an encouragement to distinguish between reality and 'wishful thinking'.