Yuri Singleton

Y

Yurisingleton

This should prove exciting.
I'm Yuri Singleton. I live near Dallas, Tx.
I am a technician with an electronics manufacturer. I am 28 years old and have a wonderful small family of two little girls and a beautiful wife. Currently we are planning to move to North Carolina some time next spring.
I first learned of the Titanic as a small child. My mother would tell me stories at night before bed and the one I always asked her to repeat was the story of the Titanic. She is a great storyteller and made it seem so real to me that I was instantly enthralled.
In primary school I used the Titanic as the subject of many papers, reports or reading assignments. As a result, I learned quite a bit about ships, the ocean, and particularly history. I found early on that you can't study Titanic without gaining a clearer understanding of the world events that shaped her world, and her tragedy.
When Dr. Ballard discovered the wreck in 1985, I was riveted to the news. (pardon the pun).
I had subscribed to National Geographic since age 5 so when the NGS presented the articles describing the wreck, it was like a personal dream come true.
Today, I am entering a new phase of my interest in Titanic. No longer content to simply draw my facts and information from that which is presented on television and other media; I am finding much more satisfaction from doing my own research. Although very new at this, and not near the Titanic scholar as some on this board are, I am now becoming much more knowledgable.
I am commited to making a pilgrimage to visit all the important site in the Titanic story. Belfast, Southampton, Queenstown, Halifax.
This board and the reputable people who use it have become a reliable and invaluable resource in my studies. I am very impressed in the overall politeness and wealth of details to be found here.
Thanks Phillip H. for this fine site.
I hope in the coming days to contribute when able and learn daily.

Yuri Singelton
Dallas, Tx.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Hi, Yuri,

Always glad to meet another 'Titanic Texan'...well, until you move to South Carolina next Spring.

I meant to post earlier when you mentioned going to the Dallas Fair Grounds to see the traveling Titanic Exhibit. I believe you said you were disappointed in it. I confess I'm still not sure if I was or not since I didn't know what to expect. Some artifacts, I must admit, did 'get to me'.

Also, I believe you said it cost you 30 USD. We paid 15 dollars per person when we went. Must've been some sort of half price day or something.

Best regards,
Cook

May 12, 2005
Yuri,

I too say Hi! We must not live far from each other. I live near Dallas, too, in a little out-of-the-way, one-horse town called Ennis.

There's not much to say for it except that people like to pick and take pictures of the bluebonnets that bloom to abundance on every hill out here and that Bonnie and Clyde are supposed to have hid out here at one time or other...it's a real exciting kind of a place!

Randy

Y

Yurisingleton

Cook,

I think you are correct, $15 was the admission and I paid for two tickets. I found it dissapointing on many points but I admit that seeing some of the items was very interesting. The beautiful, and enormous, scale models of the ship both before and after the sinking were amazing. The one room with the lifesize enlargement of the First Class Grand Staircase on a wall with the mock up columns and tiles around it was impressive. I thought the large chunk of ice, that you could touch, placed in a pitch black room with a curtain of brilliant, electric stars overhead was a very inventive touch.
But, none of these things came from the wreck site. No recovery was needed for the parts that most interested me. And when I asked one of the 'curators' of the exhibit about why several items were listed as replicas, the answer was that the main exhibit held most of the real artifacts and that this was just a smaller, mobile exhibition intended as a small venue, short duration tour.
He added that the real artifacts were much too fragile for the continual loading/unloading, handling, and transport vibrations involved with a road show.
Wish they would have disclosed that before hand.

Thanks for the response!
Always glad to meet Titanic fans like you.
I look forward to seeing your posts on the board.

Yuri

Y

Yurisingleton

Randy,

I've taken many bluebonnet pictures in your location. Best flowers in the state to be sure!
I actually live in McKinney, north of Dallas.
So we're practically neighbors in Texas terms. Only about 100 miles between us.

Thanks for the response.

Yuri

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Yuri,
Thanks for your message kind message. When you get to your new home in North Carolina maybe you can join Brian Meister and I for one of our 7 hour marathon Titanic lunch meetings. Where will you be in NC?

As for Texas connections to Titanic, there are a few more than you might normally imagine.

First, Samuel and Emma Risien were third class passengers from Groesbeck, Texas who were lost in the sinking. They left three children (actually the kids belonged to Samuel by his first wife who was Emma's sister). Their son, Charles J. Risien was a pharmacist in Frost, Texas and died in Corsicana, Texas in 1948. He and his wife Rosa (who died in 1984) are buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Corsicana.

Survivor August Wennerstrom had a son who died in Dallas in the last few years.

Engelhart Cornelius Ostby had a grandson who lived in either Garland or Mesquite, Texas (at least one of the Dallas suburbs to the east.

Titanic crewman Albert Edward Horwsill settled in Humble, Texas in later years and died there on April 7, 1962. He is buried in Rosewood Memorial Park there and still has grandchildren in Houston.

Irish survivor Bridget Driscoll Carney lived out her final years with her daughter in Houston, dying there on December 28, 1976. Her daughter is still a Houston resident.

Lebanese survivor Adele Nasser, who lost her husband Nicholas in the sinking, later married Albert Shamaley and settled in El Paso where she was a successful business woman and property owner. She has quite a large family still in El Paso. She died January 20, 1970 and is entombed in Evergreen Mausoleum there.

British survivor Clear Cameron lived briefly in El Paso during World War I.

Jewish survivor Bella Shapiro Moore later married Max Trayzohn and settled in El Paso where she died on January 29, 1958 and is buried in B'Nai Zion Cemetery. Her son Meyer Moore also lived out his life in El Paso and had three sons. He too was a Titanic survivor and died on April 15, 1975, the 63rd anniversary of the sinking. He is also buried in B'Nai Zion Cemetery.

Another one of the Irish born crewmen (the name slips me at the moment) has descendants in Tyler, Texas.

There are probably some other connections--always seems strange to think that such a cluster of Titanic survivors ended up in El Paso.

My best,
Phillip

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Thought of one other connection--George Lucien Rheims, who was a native of New York but lived much of his later life in France, married and had one son, George Loring Rheims. It appears that he was somewhat estranged from his son after his wife died and when his will was probated left a substantial bequest to his nephew, Richard de Roussy de Sales who lived in Dallas. I think Mr. de Roussy de Sales was a coexecutor of the estate along with Mr. Rheims' second wife (who was about 50 years his junior!).

Phil

Y

Yurisingleton

The Titanic In Texas - Connections between the great ship and the great state.
Ok, there's the title, now who wants to be the Author?
I never imagined such connections with my state.
I never imagined so many others that study Titanic living in or being from my state. I always thought the story of the Titanic was an English, Irish, and New York thing. I guess it really a whole world thing isn't it.
Phillip, I'll make it a point to aim my next roadtrip in the direction of Corsicana. Thanks so much for that information.

Yuri

W

William H Draeger

Howdy, Yuri,
Greetin's from a fellow Texican!
If you titled it, you should write it!! I'll buy a copy!
Best regards,
Bill

May 9, 2001
Hey Bill,

Nice to hear from you.
I'm not a writer, but there certainly seems to be enough material regarding Texas and the Titanic to inspire some author to action. Just not me.
happy.gif

Anyway, thanks for the handshake, watchout for those Brits. (They're actually OK, they just take some gettin' used to.)

Yuri