J. J. Hill Is the Purchaser of Mrs. Cardeza's Famous Pleasure Craft
The rumored purchase of Mrs. James W. Martinez-Cardeza'a steam yacht Eleanor by President J. J. Hill of the Great Northern Railroad has been confirmed by the departure of the yacht from Tebo's Basin, South Brooklyn, for the great lakes, where she will be used by her new owner. According to the desire of Mrs. Cardeza, it is understood, the Eleanor's name has been changed to Wacouta.
The transfer of the Eleanor is, in point of price paid, undoubtedly the most important yacht sale of the season. The yacht is one of the largest of the seagoing pleasure craft, and one of the very few that have voyaged around the world. She was designed by Charles Ridgely Hanscom and built in 1896 at the Bath Iron Works for W. A. Slater of the New York Yacht Club, who formerly owned the steam yacht Sagamore.
Mrs. Cardeza bought the Eleanor from Mr. Slater two years ago, cruised in European waters and the Orient, and only returned from a hunting expedition to the caribou district of Canada this Spring. The yacht was then berthed at Tebo's Basin, South Brooklyn, where she was completely overhauled and repainted.
The Wacouta is built of steel throughout, and is fitted with powerful engines and two boilers of the Scotch type. She measures 232 feet over all, 208 feet on the water line, 32 feet beam, 17 feet 5 inches depth of hold, and 14 feet draught. She is bark rigged, carrying 10,935 square feet of canvas. Her deckhouse and interior plan give an abundance of living rooms, and throughout the furnishings are most luxurious. Among the conveniences aboard are refrigerating and distilling machines and a complete electric plant.
Charlotte Wardle Cardeza
Cite this page
(1900) STEAM YACHT ELEANOR SOLD New York Times (ref: #3896, accessed 24th October 2016 08:08:06 PM) URL : https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/steam-yacht-eleanor-sold.html
Leave a comment
Add a new story to Encyclopedia Titanica
Link to this article
Please link to this page using the following URL
Or copy the link text below
Added to Encyclopedia Titanica Tuesday 5th October 2004, last updated Saturday 12th September 2015.